↳ 𝟻

𝗛𝗜𝗗𝗘 & 𝗦𝗘𝗘𝗞 𝗔𝗡𝗗 𝗣𝗢𝗘𝗠 𝗥𝗘𝗔𝗗𝗜𝗡𝗚 was the ideal way Techno and Keres spent their days when they were younger.

Steve started counting down as the seeker whilst the kids giggled, scurrying away to find a hiding place. Crickets and birds chirped around the biome, faint snowflakes started crystallizing throughout the stains of their childhood.

"Porkchop! Don't leave me!" the girl tagged along.

"We have to split up!" he whisper-yelled, but she kept saying she wanted to stay with him. "We can't be in the same hiding spo-"

Techno stumbled on a pebble in the forest, causing Keres to point and laugh at him. From too much cackling, she had also tripped over a branch.

The boy was worried about their heads at first, soon joining her sound of laughter. Steve ran towards the forest, booping them with his bear nose as a sign of finding them.

Techno patted his polar bear who was smiling in victory. "Good job, bud!"

Among the withered bookshelves and blanket of parchment papers was where the little boy and girl rested.

"Oh, listen to this one!" she cleared her throat, settling her head that was lying on his lap. "The Song of Achilles: He is half of my soul, as the poets say. He was beautiful-like a god, the poets would say."

She dedicated to him, but he didn't know it.

Techno hummed after she finished dictating. "Pablo Neruda: I love you as certain things are to be loved, in secret, between the shadow and the soul."

And so did she.

"What the hell, Pablo. Don't play with my feelings like that." Keres and Steve pouted in awe. "Emily Brontë: Whatever our souls are made of, his and mine are the same."

Techno took a quick breath before his turn. "Know that I'll still- l-love you no matter what happens. When I die, I'll drift... until I find you again."

The girl paused to look at him. "Who wrote that one?"

"It's uh... anonymous. An unknown author wrote it. It's not finished yet, though." he folded the paper back in his pocket. "Is it bad? What do you think?"

"Well, there's definitely words! Other than that, it has potential to be a great poem once it's finished." she beamed at him. "Why isn't it finished yet?"

"I don't know. Maybe the writer isn't ready to share his feelings yet. I mean- their feelings. Because they're anonymous. We don't know who they are."

"Right. Well, I would want to tell this anonymous author to just express their feelings. Life's too short to hide certain notions, you know?" she shrugged. "Do you wanna fence outside?"

With matching mischievous grins playing on their lips, they gave each other an approving look before running restlessly to the small battleground. Steve followed them, acting as their guardian.

"I'm not sure if I told you this, but I got the term technique 'Laod' from the Greek mythology woman named Laodamia." she discussed while pelting his wooden sword. "Her story is kind of... fascinating."

"What's her story?" he speared at her but she dodged it.

"Laodamia killed herself after she saw her husband brought up from the dead just so she could be with him. It's fascinating to me because... love can be like, so desperate."

"Wait, is her husband's name 'Protesilaus'?" he asked, receiving a yes. "No way! I love that guy! He was the leader of the force from Phylace and a hero who was venerated at cult sites."

"Woah, I didn't know that." she said, though was too distracted so she lost the round against him. "Damn it."

"That's alright. You'll get better." he tried to cheer her up. "On the day that I'll cut my hair! Which is never!"

Keres only stuck her tongue out at him playfully. On the cobblestone bridge watching the full moon, they sat down and leaned on the bear's thick fur.

"What do you think dying feels like?" Keres asked out of the blue.

"No idea. Technoblade never dies." he shrugged, tossing a raw fish at Steve's mouth but was then smacked on the arm. "What?!"

"Can you stop saying that phrase for at least a day? I'm genuinely curious!"

"Well, I'm not! Death is so stupid. If it's ever gonna come near me, I'll simply say 'no thanks' and then I won't die. It's that easy!" he laughed, high-fiving Steve.

"Ugh, boys. Am I right, Harp?" Keres shared a plain look with the black kitten who climbed up her shoulder.

"But seriously, though. I heard about this thing called the totem of undying, and they said if you have it, it can save you from death."

"That's so fake."

"It's not! Phil and I are trying to find a woodland mansion because they said it's where the totem spawns." he stated. "But anyways, I'm gonna obtain one and use it if ever I get fatally damaged."

"Death is fate, moron. If you die, you die." she shook her head as Harper played with the strands of her hair.

"Hey, we're still kids. Shouldn't we talk about toys and games instead?" he pouted, making her laugh. He asked Steve for his opinion, though he only yawned.

"One more, though. Do you think death-"

Technoblade morphed into a piglet just so she could ignore her question.

Keres chuckled, moving on to embrace him. "Jokes on you, Techno, I'm never letting you go now!"

"No!" he oinked. "Let go!"

"Never, I say!" she tightened the cuddle, laughing devilishly. Steve and Harper glanced at each other, then back to the the kids with a knowing smile.

But the two went silent when Techno turned back into a boy again. The gap between them was narrow as their skins were touching, the hug compressed. They could practically feel their heartbeats raising.

Keres pushed him away awkwardly.

"Uh, so," he straightened his cascade collar with a pink face as flushed as hers. "Death right? Don't mind it. I'm gonna find the totem before anything happens."

"Are you sure?" she kept glancing all around the sky as Harper comforted her by sitting on her stomach.

"Yes. I'm certain." he nodded, looking back at Steve. The bear only chortled at him.

"Techno," she lowered her voice, taking the time to make the gaze at him genuine. "You're my best friend. I don't know what I'd do without you."

The boy took a moment to respond. Like two fantasy characters straight out of a fictional children's book, the illustration slowly fades into reality. They were just kids. Children of the moon.

"You too, Ker." he smiled. "You're my best friend, too."

"Promise me we won't leave each other, okay?" she asked, taking out her pinky finger. Techno intertwined his pinky with hers, a pleasant feeling warmed their chests.

Just like that, the pinky promise was sealed together with comforting laughter. In that moment was nothing more, nothing less.

Just two souls together.