𝐑𝐨𝐮𝐧𝐝 #𝟔: 𝐑𝐨𝐩𝐞𝐬

Song: Trouble by Valerie Broussard

It's been a week I'd worn the pendant in public

It's been a week I'd worn the pendant in public. Almost the same time since the note was left in the locker of the showcase centre.

The ropes whipped at the floor with each jump I took a steady rhythm set.

It's also been that long since I slid the letter into one of my pockets of a leather jacket that I didn't wear often.

'Be careful little rose...'

I couldn't show Sam or Bryan yet and drag them further into my mess. And even though I hadn't the chance to go over to Dr Saadeh's this past week, I took a photo and sent it to her and Valerie (Sam's cousin) waiting for her to get the tapes from the locker room in hopes of catching the person who'd left it.

I'd written an email to my mum's old workplace feigning a school project that Miss Grey happily signed off (sorry miss) and will have to wait for a reply before proceeding.

"Jaz!"

My eyes shot up to meet a boy close to my age with light brown skin and brighter brown eyes in a pair of sweats and tank top peering down at me curiously. "Are you okay?" He asked.

"Yeah, why?"

He pointed a thumb at the floor so my eyes went down to the limp rope and realized that at some point, I'd stopped jumping.

"That," Emeka explained, slowly, his Igbo accent emphasizing each word. "And you're quiet."

"I am always quiet."

"You're as quiet as a masquerade."

I gave a small smile at that. "Hey, masquerades aren't bad." He'd shown me a video from the last Christmas he had when he went back to his hometown in Nigeria of the colourful figures who made their appearances during the festive season.

A thick brow rose at my admission. "Clearly you'd never been caned by one," he threw back, crossing his muscular arms over the other.

Emeka had been coming here for years partially because of his father who was a former heavyweight champion and the rest was by his own interest. He attended a different school from mine, so we usually met either here or at another hangout spot with the rest of the guys from the gym.