𝐑𝐨𝐮𝐧𝐝 #𝟐𝟏: 𝐒𝐡𝐢𝐟𝐭𝐬

Song: Skeleton by Brothers Osborne

Madison Square was insane

"Ouch." I glared at the person in a grey overcoat who'd nearly knocked off my cap walking away, oblivious. "Watch it!"

"Easy." Dr Saadeh grasped my arm to prevent me from going after her. "A cab's here."

True enough, the yellow-painted vehicle's light flashed and I relented.

"Fine," I mumbled, as she ushered me towards the car. "Why are people so fucking rude?"

We entered the cab, instantly washed by a smell I was all too familiar with from my time in the gym changing room; heat and sweat.

Dr Saadeh inhaled sharply and brought up the hockey game brochure she held up to her nose, while I pushed the smell out of my mind and closed my door.

Not even the tree-shaped air freshener with the Blues logo hanging on the mirror could help.

"Midtown East."

The cabbie whistled loudly at the front. "That's quite a journey from here."

"Don't worry," the doctor said by my side, her voice tight while cranking down the window. "We'll pay."

With that, he shrugged his wide shoulders. "Alright then. Name's Adam."

We sent ourselves a look of understanding just as the car started for the traffic.

I copied her movements and then brought out my phone, feigning typing while checking the man out from the brim of my hat.

All I could see was a shaved head and dark skin with a set jaw, and from the way he sat, and of medium height.

"You're a Blues fan?" His deep voice was cheerful. "I can see you came from the game."

"Um, not exactly," Dr Saadeh said hastily, sending me a vexed look for not saying anything. "To be honest, it was my first one."

A sharp breath left his lips as the car swerved into another lane. "You've got to be fucking with me," he hissed, before briefly glancing at us in the rear-view mirror.