The Rose Garden

There was a time between 1997 and 2002 when I had a great interest in growing and learning about roses. It was not a casual, half-hearted interest. I was possessed. I bought and planted roses, maintained roses, hybridized roses, purchased books about roses, wrote poems about roses, started a rose garden and an internet site about roses. Also, because Elko, Nevada has harsh winters I spent a great deal of effort in learning about winter hardy roses. It got to the point that my wife asked me to see a psychologist at the University of Utah about my compulsion. The doctor appointment was going well until he asked how many rose bushes I had in our yard. When I said about 200, I suppose he understood my wife's concern. At the end of the appointment, he wrote a prescription for lithium. When I got home and looked up the side effects of lithium, I decided that I would rather have a lot of pretty roses rather than side effects of lithium. I never filled the prescription.

In 2002, now 19 years ago, we closed our jewelry business and I went to work at a youth training center. I just did not have time to care for so many roses and the garden fell into decline. Now there are only a few hardy roses in our yard. It was a creative period in my life. I also learned a great deal about soil chemistry, different varieties of roses, how to plant and care for roses and even how to create an internet site. I have no regrets and admittedly I am glad I did not fill the prescription. It all worked itself out in the long run.