A Marriage Made in Heaven

It was a marriage that could only have been made in heaven. She as a cantankerous virago. A vulgar, disgusting, foul, nasty, abhorrent, contemptable, offensive, repulsive, utter revolting, narcissistic shrew. He, on the other hand, was a kind, amiable, congenial, friendly, pleasant, benevolent, gracious, and giving fellow. Not a milk-toast, but rather a genuine nice guy.

Over the thirty some years of marriage neither of them changed much. Neither tended to rub off on the other. Each staying their own course. She was always the taker and he was the constant giver. The union could never be described as spousal bliss. Rather it was one of her ceaseless commands followed by his placations tending to each new demand.

Every now and again some misguided neighbor would ask him why he put up with such abuse. His response was always the same. "Oh, she is actually a very sweet and loving person. Do not pity me. We are a very happy couple. You know that we have been married for more than thirty years now. Every year better than the last."

Then one day as she was in the midst of one of her more waspish rants, she grabbed her chest and fell silent to the floor. There she laid in a heap, devoid of life. Her sour continence was gone and peace and quiet ruled the air. The tyrant was dead. Most people who knew them thought he would be overjoyed at the prospect of his newfound freedom. But such was not the case. His happy, cheerful continence turned gloomy and morose. His heart broken by the loss of his constant companion down life's road.

He passed after a few difficult years. He remained pleasant and thoughtful to his neighbors and friends. But the hole left in his heart was too great to fill and he was never the same. There were no children by the marriage. No Aunt Bessie or Uncle Joe. No will was left by either person. So, their home sold at auction to a young couple just starting out in life. Neither would ever admit the secret which they kept to themselves. But sometimes on a cold winter's night they would hear the echoes of a couple who were united once more. A woman with a pugnacious temperament and a man who was grateful and kind. A marriage truly made in heaven.