The Mirror

My mom and dad were sticklers for bedtime on school nights but not Friday or Saturday night. On those nights, my brother and I would watch TV late into the night sometimes until the test pattern showed up. Kids nowadays probably don't even know what that is. On those nights we would watch two programs that used to scare the heck out of me - The Twilight Zone and The Alfred Hitchcock show. One night one of these shows was particularly terrifying. It was about a mirror in the attic of an old house. There was a girl in the mirror. The story goes if you looked at the girl in the mirror, she would change places with you, and you would become trapped inside the mirror and she would be set free. It was a scary story. Unfortunately for me, the main bathroom in our house had a huge wall mirror over the sink counter. On the way to the bathroom after the show, my brother said, "whatever you do don't look in the mirror". As a young impressionable lad real terror set in. For months I had to go to the bathroom and try not look in that bathroom mirror. Then when I did it was only for a quick glance. It sounds weird now, but I'll tell you I did not like going to that bathroom for a long time.