The Wise One

It is a strange thing when you have a squirrel stop you and have a meaningful conversation and then the next day it is as if it never happened. There are squirrels all about but they are doing what they normally do. Leaping and hoping, flipping their tail, chasing each other and the like. But none of them showing the least interest in you. Also, there is no sign of Elgin, the leader of the squirrels, anywhere in site. I am coming to the conclusion that what happened was only in my mind with no semblance of reality.

It has been many weeks now since Elgin the squirrel spoke to me from the tree and several more weeks prior that the toad had asked me "Where am I going." I still have no good answer to that poignant question. I have searched my soul and spent hours in thought, but change is hard. It hurts to think about something so life changing. So, I continue as I have day to day, week to week and soon month to month. Spring has turned to the hot days of summer and there have been no more interactions with the wildlife at work. Even the squirrels that scurry around my yard and tease and play with my dogs show no sign of wishing to do anything more than be happy-go-lucky.

Then one morning while leaving the dorm I saw a small baby cottontail bunny sitting in the grass not far from the sidewalk. I guess for humor's sake, I said to the little guy, "Have you seen Elgin lately. If you see him please let him know that I am still interested in speaking with him." With no surprise, the little bunny said nothing. So, I turned and began my walk down the sidewalk to the office. I do think it was a bit strange that there was a small cottontail bunny here as most of the rabbits are the rangier jack rabbits. As I walk toward the office, the little bunny begins to hop along with me. As we get near the tree, I begin to feel the anticipation that something significant is going to happen. When I get beneath the tree, I ask the little bunny if he has anything to say to me before I move closer to the office. From above, me from one of the larger branches, there was a calm, assured voice that says, "I am afraid he is too young to speak your language. His name is Dawn. He was born earlier this year. It will take him years to be able to understand and speak to you. If he ever does.  I suppose he is just curious, because he has heard stories about you from the elder rabbits." With that I looked up and saw a rather large owl sitting on the tree branch looking down at me. I said, "My name is Dan. I have seen you before sitting on the top of the flagpole at night and then over by the trees along the perimeter road." The owl replied, "Yes, that is me. I have been here for many years. I was born not far from here down by the river. As with you, my parents passed about five years ago. My name is Críonna." Now, for some reason, I did not seem to be surprised or anxious that an owl spoke to me. I just hoped that I wouldn't be referred to the mental health department for my strange behavior. I replied to Crionna, "You seem to know when my parents passed away. Is there a reason?  Did you know them also?" Crionna adjusted his stance and said, "No, I just know they were very nice people, as far as people go. I am sure you miss them as much as I miss my parents." To this I said, "Why do you know me?  I am no one special here. I am just a lowly night supervisor. I do my job as best as I am able, but the night people are not even well respected by the day staff. We seem to just be a necessary placeholder while they are off." "I suppose that is true among your kind.", said Crionna, "But you are quite revered by the wildlife. For you are the chosen one." I waited with a long pause for the owl to continue and elaborate on what I was chosen for. But he did not continue. So, I said, "Chosen for what?" Crionna said, "That is not for me to say. You must wait for Elgin to return from his trip to the counsel. He has been gone for several weeks and should return soon. It is a long way from here." Crionna then continued, "I must go for now. It will all come into focus when he returns." With that Crionna spread his wings and launched from the tree branch to the sky. I was once again left to wonder with no more answers than I had earlier. But certainly, with more questions including why I was the chosen one and what was I chosen for.