I Know How You Feel

Nobody really knows how someone else feels. We can only know how we felt in a similar situation. When I lost my wife a few kind souls said, "I know how you feel." I replied, "Thank you." I thought, "No. No. you have no idea of the grief I am dealing with." Though the past seven years, I have lost my parents, my only brother, two brothers-in-laws, my sister-in-law, and my wife. I was close to each of them, but I felt differently for each one of them. I miss them all immensely. But the loss of my wife of 40 years was more devastating than all the others combined. That does not diminish the loss of my parents and the others, it is just how I feel.

I guess it comes down to you really don't know what to say when you need to tell someone you are sorry for their loss. I know it is a little disheartening when someone avoids the subject all together. Our next-door neighbor never has said one thing about my wife passing. He ignores the subject entirely, even though he was always friendly with both of us. It is strange from my perspective. But out of respect to him I don't inquire why.

I suppose, at least for me, I will say, "I am sorry for your loss." Which is a true statement. Whereas, saying, "I know how you feel." Is probably not near accurate and may even upset someone.