Fugitives from SHIELD

----- January 10th, 2014 - Triskelion, Washington D.C -----

Early in the afternoon, Steve and Y/N walk down a hallway in SHIELD HQ.

Surprisingly, this wasn't the first time Y/N has been here. But no one seems to be aware that he's been there before.

They turn a corner to seen Pierce standing in an Office doorway speaking to Steve's neighbor, who turns out is named Sharon. She turns toward them to walk away, noticing Steve.

She walks past and greets, "Captain Rogers." 

"Neighbor," Steve says, ignoring her. 

Pierce greets the two of them as they approach, "Ah, Captain. Lieutenant. I'm Alexander Pierce." 

"Sir, it's an honor," Steve says as they shake hands.

Pierce reaches out to Y/N, but he just stares at him and replies to Steve, "Speak for yourself."

Pierce smiles and ignores the blatant disrespect before saying to Steve, "..The honor's mine, Captain. My father served in the 101st. Come on in." 

A few minutes go by and Steve was looking down at a photo of Fury and Pierce. Y/N was sitting there, fidgeting with his ring.

"That photo was taken five years after Nick and I met, when I was at State Department in Bogota. E.L.N. rebels took the embassy, and security got me out, but the rebels took hostages. Nick was Deputy Chief of the S.H.I.E.L.D. station there, and he comes to me with a plan. He wants to storm the building through the sewers. I said, "No, we'll negotiate." Turned out, the E.L.N. didn't negotiate, so they put out a kill order. They stormed the basement, and what do they find? They find it empty. Nick had ignored my direct order, and carried out an unauthorized military operation on foreign soil, and saved the lives of a dozen political officers, including my daughter."

Pierce tosses a folder on the table in front of him.

"So you gave him a promotion," Y/N says. 

"I've never had any cause to regret it," he replies before directing to Steve, "..Captain, why was Nick in your apartment last night?"

"I don't know.."

"..Did you know it was bugged?" 

"I did, because Nick told me," Steve admits.

"Did he tell you he was the one who bugged it? I'm sure he bugged Superman's apartment as well."

"He would if I had one," Y/N mumbles with a smile.

"..I want you two to see something," Pierce presses a button on the table.

A screen on the wall starts displaying a recording. It was showing the man Steve had dealt with a few days ago.

Batroc.

"Is that live?," Steve asks. 

"Yeah, they picked him up last night in a not-so-safe house in Algiers." 

"Are you saying he's a suspect? Assassination isn't Batroc's line." 

"No, no. It's more complicated than that. Batroc was hired anonymously to attack the Lemurian Star. And he was contacted by email and paid by wire transfer, and then the money was run through 17 fictitious accounts. The last one going to a holding company that was registered to a Jacob Veech."

Y/N grabs the folder from the table. He opens it and starts looking through it.

"Are we supposed to know who that is?," he asks.