SEVENTEEN | Training & Reading

ATHENA RUSSO:

ATHENA RUSSO:

"Like that. Okay?"

I stare at the punching bag, dumbfounded. "Uh, can you do it again?" I ask. He nods and punches the punching bag.

"You try."

I mean I wasn't expecting this when Lorenzo said I should learn how to defend myself. To be honest I don't know what I expected. I haven't mentally prepared myself for this which I should've because when he told me I should learn how to do this, it was two weeks ago.

I punch the punching bag as hard as I can. I face Marcello to see his reaction but as usual, he keeps his face stone cold.

"Was it good?"

He shrugs, "Could be better. But we need to focus on your stance."

I nod.

"Put your nondominant foot in front of you and point it at a 35- to 45-degree angle towards your target. Plant your dominant foot behind you and point it away from the target at a 45- to 60-degree angle."

I look at him dumbfounded, "What?" He sighs and shows me. "Oh." I copy him and he nods.

He stands in front of me and put my hands into a fist. "Don't wrap your fingers around your thumb, you could break a bone."

I nod.

"Now when you this a straight punch, twist your hips and chest towards your target," he says as he shows me.

I tilt my head, "Okay."

"You try it."

I get in my stance and look at him and he nods in approval. I twist my hips and chest and throw a punch to the punching bag.

The punching bag swings back a little and Marcello catches it, putting it back into place.

Taking a step back from the punching bag, I look at Marcello for approval. His eyes tell me I'm doing a good job. I relax a little. Okay. I'm doing good.

"That was really good," he tells me.

"Really?"

He nods, "Yeah. You're a natural."

I grin. I like this. A lot. It's fun.

"Do it again."

I nod and get into my stance.

I flinch when the door barges open. I stand up straight and Domenico walks in, pointing at me, "You bitch!"

My eyes widen, "Me?"

"Yes, you!"

He strides toward me and I take a step back. He towers over me, "Why do you keep watching shit on my Netflix account?"

"Because I don't have one?"

"I don't care. Stop watching that stupid Gilmore girl show!"

"But I like it?"

"Well, I don't."

I glare at him, "Well I don't care. I'll continue watching it on your account."

He gives me one of the deadliest glares ever. "You do that and I'll make sure it gets removed from Netflix."

I punch him. He stumbles back and holds his jaw. I look at Marcello, "Was that good?" Marcello's lips twitch, "That was amazing." I grin.

"That's it. I'm going to call Netflix and make sure they get rid of it."

"You can't do that. They won't listen to you."

"I'm a Russo. They will."

"Well so am I! So I'll get it back if you do that."

"Guys stop. Athena, I'll make you your own account on Netflix okay?" Marcello says. I cross my arms and huff, "Fine."

Domenico stares at me for a moment, "You're so fucking lucky that you're my sister."

I flip my hair over my shoulder, "Whatever you say, Domenico."

He shakes his head and walks away.

"Bye Dommy!"

He stops walking and turns around. For a moment I think he's going to have another go at me but instead, he just gives me the middle finger before walking out.

"Also, I wasn't lying, that was a good punch. I'm proud," Marcello comments.

"Thank you," I say, sheepishly smiling.

✩ ✩ ✩

I wander around the mansion, seeing guards around the house. I wonder why they need so much protection.

The reason why I'm walking around this humongous place is that I don't know my way around here and if I'm going to be here for a long time I need to know where everything is.

I see a door slightly open.

I walk towards it but before I open it I look left and right and see no one is here. I shrug and gently push the door open. I step inside the room and I grin.

It's a library.

I close the door behind me. There are bookshelves everywhere. It looks like they have every book in the world here with the number of books I'm seeing but what catches my attention is the piano.

The piano is at the back of the room, and behind it is a window wall. The view is captivating. It shows a green dark forest. Rays of sunlight hit the piano and it makes this room look even more perfect.

I notice a dark brown wooden staircase that matches the theme here. I quickly go up the stairs to see what's up there.

It's more bookshelves but it just has the most comfortable-looking couch ever.

Right, I need to find a book or multiple books to read and read them on that couch.

I start off upstairs since I'm literally up here already. I look through the bookshelves, there are classics, mysteries, historical and thriller books up here.

I notice a few of my favorite classics so I take them with me. I place it down on the floor beside the couch. It's a small pile which is okay but I need to go downstairs and find more.

I go down the stairs feeling giddy. I can't help but grin. This is like a dream come true. I thought they wouldn't have something like this but I don't know brothers that well which is technically my fault since I just stay in my room all day.

I look through the bookshelves. There are fiction, nonfiction, fantasy, young adult, action, poetry, and romance books. For obvious reasons, I collect more books.

I walk up the stairs, holding a big pile of books. Carefully, I make sure none of them fall. I make it to the couch and place the pile next to the other pile of books.

Right, it's time to start reading.