𝐈𝐈𝐈.

I didn't know where I was going

I didn't know where I was going. I didn't have a plan. And while I wasn't an expert, I had a feeling this was a major no-no in Running Away 101.

My first instinct was to go home. Rookie move, I realized. My penthouse was the first place my mother would look and send security to get me.

    It didn't leave me with many options. As I sat behind the wheel of my Lexus, I raced through all the places I could hide out until the coast was clear. It was almost hopeless until Jadyn came to mind.

    The last thing I wanted to do was drop by unannounced, but I had no choice.

    Once I crossed the city limits from Hampton Hills to Culver City and then into Bedford Heights, I let loose the biggest sigh of relief. Home free.

    Nothing but twelve miles and at least forty minutes were wedged between me, my parents, and Cain. My parents knew about Jadyn, naturally, but they didn't know where she lived. It provided me refuge, a means of a potential escape from it all.

    Well, almost. At some point, I would have to go home and face what was laid out for me. For now, I needed a little time to adjust and get used to the idea.

    I suddenly felt too young and trapped. Maybe if I knew the guy, loved him, had a choice, then getting married wouldn't faze me.

    But I didn't and I felt a buzz of panic creeping under my skin. I couldn't—

    POP!

    My car swerved to the right of the road, rumbling as I heard the sound of glass bursting beneath my tires.

    Shit. Shit. Shit.

    "Not good. Not good," I whined as I pulled over before my car lurched into the ditch.

    I was at a bend in the road with nothing but trees and nightfall surrounding me. I had just gotten off the highway and was making my way towards Jadyn's, nowhere near walking distance to shelter from the looks of it, not that my heels would carry me.

    The smartest thing I could've done was leave my cell phone at my parents' to avoid being tracked. The dumbest thing I could've done was leave my cell phone at my parents' when there was a possibility of an emergency such as the one I was currently in.

    I was stranded.

    Breathe, Kennedy, breathe, I coached myself to keep the anxiety at bay. I knew all the stuff the movies and shows portrayed about Bedford Heights, California was just fictional sensation to sell fear and violence, but being out here alone at night screamed Come hit a lick.

    Still, I climbed out of my car and assessed the damage done to my tires, questioning if I could wheel my way to civilization.

    By the gaping hole in my front left wheel, I guessed I couldn't.