𝐗𝐗𝐗.

"I'm so sorry, Kennedy," my mother was saying as we stood alone in my family's foyer

"I'm so sorry, Kennedy," my mother was saying as we stood alone in my family's foyer. Cain and his men had left. He'd forked over my cell phone and I'd let him dig out his holster and gun from my Saint Laurent.

I was partially relieved to find that Keith hadn't called or texted me during dinner. Partly relieved, and partly disappointed.

   I hoped he wasn't mad, even though he had every right to be.

   "You're just trying," I mumbled as I placed my phone into my bag. "That's all you've been doing since Daddy got sick. Trying to make the most of things."

   My mother's gentle hands came and held me against her. I pressed my face into her neck, inhaling some of her familiar perfume and homey scent. And then I gathered my keys and went home.

   It was late, and I didn't know Keith's work schedule, but that didn't stop me from attempting to call to make things right as soon as I got into my door. The line rang and rang, until it reached his voicemail.

   "This is Keith, you just missed me. If you leave your name and your number I'll hit you back," his deep voice greeted my ear in a lazy monotone.

   A tone sounded out, indicating for me to leave a message.

   I didn't.

   I hung up and called again. When the same fate fell upon me, I gave up calling altogether.

   Me: I'm sorry I stood you up

   He didn't text me back, and he didn't call.

In the morning I awoke to no returned calls or texts

In the morning I awoke to no returned calls or texts. Just messages from Jadyn questioning my next move as far as Cain went.

   I didn't want to think about Cain.

   Me: Faking my death sounds good

   Jadyn: Being dramatic won't solve your problems

   She was right. I was in a big mess.

   My first priority was getting through to Keith.

   This time when I called him, he answered.