𝐗𝐗𝐈𝐕.

Friday afternoon I picked Dominque up from school

Friday afternoon I picked Dominque up from school. Something in my gut told me to handle his debt personally. Shit could go left before it ever went smooth.

Dominique had contacted his "friends" and told him he had the money. They wanted to meet up in the alley by Third and Maple, but I wasn't feeling that dynamic. On one hand, it was out of sight from authority should things look as shady as they were. On another, it was too much free reign for them to pull a caper. Too many times across news stations did I hear about some unfortunate soul who'd gotten robbed and killed. Taking the money wasn't enough for these guys, it was if they had to take your life.

    It wasn't goin' down like that for Dom.

    So, I told him to tell his people he'd meet with them at Friedman Park. It was public and out in the opening. Far better chances of survival.

    Dominique rode shotgun as I drove us to the park and found a parking space in the back of the large lot, giving me a good view of the whole scene. For backup, Savon was nearby should I need reinforcements. I told myself these were kids I was dealin' with, but these days, that didn't mean much.

    There was nothing like dudes on the come up. The ones who started smellin' themselves and thinkin' they were hot shit because they had a little paper in their pockets. Those were the ones who were often reckless. Desperate to prove their street cred or gain one.

    Dominique wouldn't admit he was scared, but I could tell he was relieved to be staying with me as he had all week. I hadn't made it easy for him. I had him out in the yard with me to learn to make use of his hands, or in the kitchen, to learn to fend for himself. He complained, like the whiney kid he was, but he sucked it up and kept up with me.

    I had an envelope filled with ten freshly printed hundred-dollar bills sitting in the cup console beside me. I kept the music on low as I scanned the playground and park for any signs of activity. My phone was out on my lap as well in case Savon spotted anybody.

    Beside me, Dominique was nonchalant as his phone kept pinging every other minute.

    "Havin' fun?" I asked on the fifty-eleventh notification.

    Dominique smiled and looked my way. "Chill."

    Another ping had him back in his phone.

    I rolled my eyes and focused out the window before me. "How's work?"

    Dominique lifted and dropped his shoulder. "It's cool. They hired some more people. They're sayin' if I want, I can move inside and become a stocker."

    "More money?"

    "Not really, but if I get more hours I can earn a raise they say," Dom went on. "I kinda like pushin' carts. I be in my own little world out there. Nobody faster than me at it."