𝐗𝐈𝐗.

Saturday came too quickly

Saturday came too quickly. All I wanted to do was stay in bed, cloaked under Keith's hoodie, but deep down, I knew I couldn't renege on my plans with Cain. He wanted a night in, and I knew he wasn't about to let me go back on my word.

    Just because I wasn't putting up a fight, didn't mean I was going all in. No, to squash any semblance of my being interested in Cain, I went into my walk-in closet and found a black velour tracksuit by Shallow. After my shower, I slipped into the tracksuit and pulled my hair up into a ponytail. I doused myself with a little perfume and avoided any makeup beyond gliding lip balm across my lips.

    And then the jitters set in, an icky sensation I couldn't shake. What if this was a trap? A lure to get me to his home where he wouldn't let me go? I already knew I'd never step foot in Vegas with him, because I was sure I'd never leave unmarried.

    "You're overthinking," I told myself as I began to pace in front of my TV. No amount of coaching would stop my hands from shaking, however.

    Ugh.

    This man would send me into an anxiety-induced heart attack before we even said I do.

    Knocking at my door startled me. It was five thirty. I guessed it was time to go.

    I swallowed slowly as I advanced towards my door, unable to calm down even the slightest as I wrapped my hand around the knob. I unlocked the door with the other and pulled it open, at once breathing a sigh of relief at the sight of Beans on the other side.

    One look at the large man in the way too big suit made me frown in pity. Someone needed to help him on the fashion side of things. It was odd, seeing how well-dressed Cain kept himself.

    I poked my head out of my suite, scoping the background for signs of the man and his other bodyguard, Vino. Neither seemed to be in the vicinity, so I came back to Beans.

    "Something wrong?" I asked.

    Beans shook his head, his bored eyes peering down into mine. "Dice— Cain is putting some finishing touches on a project. I'll drive you to his spot."

    My lips trembled and settled into a scowl. He couldn't even get me himself? For his date? "No thanks, tell him I'm sick."

    Beans rolled his eyes, shaking his head. "You're not sick, and I never lie to D."

    I folded my arms, attempting to take a stance. "Then what's his address, I'll drive myself."

    Beans wasn't amused by this idea. "I am to escort you to Cain. You're not staying, and you're not driving. Don't make this any harder for yourself, Miss Nichols."

    Cain didn't trust that I would bring myself to him? It was probably for good measure, because it was tempting to not go.

    Curiosity got the better of me as I looked over at Beans. "You never lie, huh? What do you think of this arrangement?"