𝐗𝐗𝐕𝐈𝐈𝐈.

I stopped by my parents' house Wednesday to see my father after he made a request to speak to me

   I had hoped it was good news. That he was summoning me over to tell me that the engagement was off, but there was no such luck.

In the doorway to his bedroom my hopes were crushed by the ever-present sight of Cain. My father had his reading glasses on and was skimming a stack of papers as Cain stood back waiting patiently.

There was business, and then there was harassment. Why couldn't Cain work with Phil while my father took a step down?

"Sit," my father ordered without taking his eyes off his reading.

Of course Phil couldn't just lead Nichols & Wagner. My father wouldn't step down if you paid him.

"Can't you say please?" I replied as I remained standing in the doorway.

My father lowered his glasses and gaped at me.

Cain said nothing as he stood coolly waiting for my father to finish whatever they were going over.

A beat went by as my father continued to stare at me. In the end, like always, I conceded.

I went and took a seat in the chair by his bed and waited my turn.

My father went back to Cain. "You wanna extend on my property, fine, but you're thinking small."

Cain took the criticism with ease. "Damon, a complete remodel would take far more time than an extension."

"Okay?" my father challenged. "I've got time. What, do you have something else more pressing at hand?"

Cain's gaze flickered to mine. "He's going to outlive us all."

Even if he were teasing, we could only hope.

My father held the papers out for Cain to take. "I still want the new structure in LA. The Residence at Cartier should be a completely new look and design. We're not cutting corners."

Cain accepted this with a nod of his head. "Yes, sir."

"Now, on to the next order of business." My father removed his glasses and sat up a little more, trying to get comfortable as he faced me.

"Should we be alone?" I wondered of Cain's presence.

My father made a face. "Up to him."

I watched as Cain's finger tapped the stack of papers in his hand as he looked from my father to me. Being polite, he decided to step out into the hall to give us privacy.

I waited until the door was shut behind him before giving my father my full attention. "Well?"

The grave expression on his face had me wary. "About the wedding," he began with a sigh. "It is tradition for a father to walk his daughter down the aisle to give her away. Have you been thinking about that?"