1- Introduction

Masquerade has different definitions. The one everyone knows is those fancy parties where everyone wears masks. When you hear the word masquerade, you think of that. If you don't then... you're weird.

It also means pretending to be someone or something that you're not. And that's what you have to do. You have to pretend to be Bucky's wife and fool everyone that you're in love. While attending a masquerade ball.

So you have to be masquerade at a masquerade.

Never thought you'd see that word so many times in your life? Most people don't. You're just lucky. Oh right, Bucky.

Basically, it all started when you met. He hated you for no reason. Okay, maybe there was a reason involving you putting plastic cups all over his floor and filling them with water, while he was asleep. He wasn't happy to wake up and see his floor covered in plastic cups filled with water.

Steve lectured you on it. Tony gave you four hundred dollars and said he loves you and wants to brainstorm with you later.

It's safe to say Bucky doesn't like you though.

There were a few incidents after that. Sparring matches that ended up with him breaking your nose and you breaking his finger. He dislocated your shoulder, you pulled his hair. He almost broke your jaw, you punched him really hard in the balls. He was down for the rest of the day.

After that, you hated each other even more. Hurling insults at each other any chance you got. Getting paired as partners on a mission was your least favorite. You had to be next to each other the whole time.

Protecting each other.

It sucks.

You felt like you couldn't trust him. Every time he walked behind you, all you could think about was if he was gonna pull your hair or not. You could barely focus on the mission.

Then there was the awkward exchange the two of you had.

Basically, you were partners on a mission and you were walking in front of Bucky. The sound of several guns firing made him grab you... BY YOUR WAIST... and pin you against the wall. His face was resting against yours, his hands were glued to your waist, you were pinned against the wall and could feel his breath on your face.

You never talked about that moment again. Not even with Hope, Wanda or Natasha.

You walk in conference room and see Bucky and Tony sitting at the table. "Y/n, please sit," Tony says as he points to the chair next to Bucky. You stare at the chair before choosing the one beside it, leaving a chair in between you and Bucky. Tony sighs.

"I know you two aren't going to like this, but you're the only ones qualified for it. You have to go Italy and pose as a married couple and—"

"Absolutely not," Bucky cuts Tony off.

"I'm with Bucky on this," you say, but Tony talks over you. "And complete this list of missions. All in all, it should take you two months at the most," he says as he hands both you and Bucky a file. You stare at him in disbelief. "Two months? With the cyborg that has a staring problem?" You squeak.

Tony nods his head. "Why can't I go with Sam?" You ask.

"We need a super soldier on this," Tony says. "That's what she said," he quietly adds making you softly chuckle.

"Then why not Steve?" You ask. Bucky speaks next. "Or why can't I go with Natasha?"

"I could go with Natasha!" You volunteer, very willingly.

"Natasha can't go because she had some issue to sort out regarding her family. Steve can't go either," Tony says.

"Why can't Steve go?" You ask.

"Because you and Steve have more of a... I don't know... brother-sister relationship," Tony says. "You wouldn't be able to pass as husband and wife."

"Why can't Wanda go?" Bucky asks.

"I'll go with Wanda!" You volunteer again. Tony sighs as he rubs his eyes. "I need two assassins for this. Not an assassin and a witch," he says.

"Okay, then why not Hope?" Bucky asks. "Yes y/n, we know you want to go with her," he says before you can shout that you wanna go with her. You slouch in your chair.

"You know I really didn't wanna say this, but apparently if I don't, you won't leave me alone. You two have to go because you have the best chemistry on the team. You hate each other with a strong passion, but the very few times you get along, you could cut the tension between the two of you with a knife. If you were to act like you loved each other, it would fool anyone and everyone who looks at you. The both of you have a connection so deep, but you don't realize it because of how much you hate each other, which everyone doesn't believe," Tony says, trying to catch his breath.

"I still don't think I should go with her. She about as useful as an ashtray on a motorcycle," Bucky says.

Tony stands up and gathers his things. "The jet leaves first thing tomorrow morning, be on it, or I will drag you on it," he says before leaving the room.

You glance over at Bucky, who looks at you. Clearing your throat, you grab the file and leave the room. Once you make it to the kitchen, you see Sam and go sit next to him. "Wanna read this with me then come help me pack?" You ask.

"Absolutely," Sam says as he grabs the file from you.