2- Looking

The next morning, you wake up and step out of your bed. "Ow! Y/n! Watch where you're fucking going!" Sam grumbles from the floor. "Quit being a baby," you scold and make your way to the bathroom.

You and Sam have been best friends for almost fifteen years now. He recruited you to the avengers. "You should've gone back to your room if you didn't wanna be stepped on," you call from the bathroom.

"I feel asleep on your floor cause I was exhausted from helping you pack!" Sam calls over the sound of you flushing the toilet.

"Well, that was your choice," you say as you walk out of the bathroom.

"So... two months with Bucky huh? The big ol' hunk," Sam chuckles. You roll your eyes as you find comfortable clothes to change into.

"Close your eyes," you say. Sam turns around and puts his hands over his eyes. "Don't worry, I'm not looking," he says. You smile and change quickly.

Sam walks with you to the jet. "There she is!" Tony says once you're in view. Bucky's standing next to him wearing black jeans and a hoodie. "See you got pigeon to walk with you," Tony says.

"Pigeon? C'mon man," Sam says.

"What's the plan?" You ask.

"I put the coordinates in the GPS, Friday knows what she's doing, giving you two time to talk about the mission and practice being lovey dovey with each other. Oh! I almost forgot," Tony says as he reaches in his pocket and pulls out a red velvet box. "Rings!" He says excitedly as he opens it and shows you.

He hands the box to Bucky, who puts it in his pocket. "Oh also. For the masquerade balls you're attending towards the end of this month and the middle of next month, your outfits are being mailed to you by, no other than, mwah," he says.

"So I'm guessing you're not gonna send me a suit?" You ask. Tony shakes his head. "I would love to because you look hot in a suit, but you would probably stand out and we don't want that," he says.

"She already stands out," Bucky says.

You all look at him. "Because of— you know how... ugly she is," he says.

"Shut the fuck up, you're literally part robot," you say. Bucky rolls his eyes.

"Alright, well, you best be off," Tony says. You hug him before hugging Sam. "Bye Sammy," you say.

"Good luck," he says before whispering, "get some robot dick."

There's a high chance Bucky heard that, but there's also a high chance he didn't because he's talking to Tony. Guess you'll never know. Either way, you won't be getting any robot dick.

Tony waves goodbye to you both before the jet closes and takes off.

You and Bucky sit away from each other. Not speaking or looking in each other's direction.

About an hour passes before he sits next to you. "I guess we should practice... some... things," he says hesitantly. You look at him with disgust. "I'm not touching you, kissing you, or making love to you," you say.

"We don't have to do any of those things. Physical actions sometimes don't even look real. I doubt they will for us," Bucky says.

"So what are we supposed to practice?" You ask with a raised eyebrow.

"Looking at each other," Bucky says. You look at him confused. "Looking at each other? You won't have a problem with that. You know, with your staring problem and all," you say.

"If people have enough chemistry, they can fool anyone that they're in love by just looking at them," Bucky says. You groan, "fine."

You pivot your body so you face him. He does the same. You stare into each other's eyes coldly. At first, but then Bucky's expressions start to soften. Yours stay the same.

"Try softening your expression and eyes," Bucky says.

"What the fuck does that mean?" You ask. Bucky groans as he lays his head against the wall, eyes shut tight. "Jesus fuck, y/n. It's not that hard to do," he says.

"I don't know what you're asking me to do," you say.

"Just look at me like you like me," he says, highly irritated with you.

"I can't," you say and he stands up. "You hate me so much that you can't even pretend to like me for one minute?" He asks.

"Yea pretty much," you say.

"Then pretend I'm Sam," Bucky says. You shake your head. "No I can't do that," you say.

"Why not?" Bucky asks.

"Because you're not Sam," you say. "I actually like Sam. I've known Sam for a long time. I've known you for two years. I've hated you for two years and I don't plan on changing that," you say.

Bucky groans with frustration as he sits away from you. He stares at you coldly and you stare back at him.

This is only the beginning of what seems to be the worst mission of your life.