Biggest Shock of Life

Virat performed phenomenally in the Under 15 tournaments and as a result of his hard work, he was selected in the Delhi Ranji Team which is the highest team for a state and competes in the toughest local tournament The Ranji Trophy at the age of 18. He and his family were truly delighted because they knew the hard work this dedicated boy has put in his long journey and he has got the reward for the same. He also couldn't realize that after the struggles he faced in getting to the Under 15 team, he would be selected easily for the Ranji Team.In his first Ranji match, unfortunately, Virat couldn't make a great impact and was dismissed in both the innings. But in the very next match, he scored a century and a crucial innings of 42 runs to make the team win. However, he didn't knew that his world would be turning upside down very soon.Delhi Vs Karnataka, one of the battles considered as the Battle of Giants was the turning point of his life. The Ranji matches used to be 4 day matches back then, and Virat was batting overnight on 40 odd runs and the dreadful date was 18th December, 2006 time was nearly 3 am and his father had a heart attack. They seemed for the help of the neighbors but no one came out of the house. When they reached the hospital, it was too late. His father passed away and Virat was in too much shock to understand anything. He was in double mind, wheather he should go play or stay back home. He called his coach and told him everything and his coach was in a shock too. He asked Virat to do what his instinct asked him to.When the news reached his Delhi teammates they were sure that Virat wouldn't come but next day, they found him padded up, ready to go and bat. He didn't say a word went out and scored 96 runs and was given a wrong decision by the umpire and he returned home tear eyed called his coach and told him crying that umpire gave him wrong decision when his coach was anticipating that he was crying because of his father's death. The coach then assured him that he'll be always there as his Father Figure.That move of Virat impressed everyone including the opposition coach and the umpires. Remembering the incident, Karnataka coach Venkatesh Prasad says " When we saw Virat striding out to the crease we were shocked that how can a boy of this tender age be so mature. This showed what he is made up of and why he was destined for greatness. " Virat also says that his dad's death changed his life. It was the turning point of his life and he started taking cricket more seriously because his father wanted him to play for India at the highest level, it was his father's last wish which he wanted to fulfill at any cost.For information, it's a fact that Virat wears 18 number jersey because his father died on 18th December, 2006 and he was 18 years old then. He says it makes me feel dad is still with me.