Selection and Winning U 19 World Cup

Despite of the biggest shock in his life, losing his father, Virat's first Ranji season was quite near to phenomenal. The next goal of his life was the selections for India Under 19 team for the upcoming Under 19 World Cup 2008. In the selections, the Chief Selection was Venkatesh Prasad whom you could remember as the Karnataka Coach when Virat played the innings after his father's demise. Virat tells the story of Under 19 selection as "It was luck to be honest. In the first innings of my trial match I only managed 30 odd runs and then there was no selector watching me. Fortunately, the selector has to arrive the next innings where I scored a 120 not out, and on top of that Venkatesh sir was quiet determined to select me as he has seen me play before. "Virat was not only selected but appointed as the Captain leading India in the Under 19 World Cup. This team also included one of the present star of Indian team, Ravindra Jadeja who now is known by the name Sir Jadeja. Virat and his team left India in full confidence, and as a result were easily through to the semi finals. One of the famous statement of Virat was his introduction during the World Cup which said "Virat Kohli, 19 years India captain Right handed batsman and Right arm quick bowler. My favorite cricketer is Hershell Gibbs."Two things came in spotlight, one was Right arm quick bowler because the bowlers are either Fast bowlers, Medium Pacers, Off spinners, Leg spinners or Mystery Spinners. So nobody understood the concept of quick bowler. The other thing was his favorite cricketer Hershell Gibbs. I mean, he now says on that day, I don't know in which flow I spoke my favorite cricketer as Hershell Gibbs when anybody hardly knew him. Well that was past and as you all know his inspiration as well as favourite cricketer is Sachin Ramesh Tendulkar.Returning to the World Cup, India faced a challenging fight from the New Zealand but were finally able to defeat them. One thing that happened in that match which will shock cricket fans today was that Virat took the wicket of Kane Williamson, who in today's generation is a fantastic and majestic batsman.India faced the mighty challenge of South Africa in the Finals and they got through them by a thin margin of 10 odd runs. This World Cup proved Virat as a batsman and a captain too. Although, he only managed a half century and a century in the tournament but played many crucial knocks for the team. He contributed by the bat, by the ball and also as a captain on the field and was one of the main reasons behind India's emphatic World Cup win.Another interesting fact is that 2 Kohlis played that World Cup, one was Virat Kohli and the other was Taruwar Kohli. However, one Kohli became one of the greatest cricketers and the other was hardly noticed.