|36|

- Lucifer - 

After holding Delilah in my arms for about half an hour, my sleepy girl dozed off into a deep nap. We came home from her university a while ago and I was teaching her how to play basketball in the court she has in her backyard. Needless to say, she was exhausted towards the end of our training session. She did surprisingly well. I thought her height would be a clear disadvantage but she did good for her first time, no where near as good as me but we'll get there soon. 

I stood up from the rocking chair she has in the corner of her room and situated her onto the bed. I kissed her forehead and nose before pulling the blanket over her small body, tucking it under her chin and making sure it covered her feet. 

As much as I wanted to stay next to her and nap too, I had something important to take care of. 

I walked out of her room, leaving the door slightly open so she doesn't get scared if she wakes up, and made my way to her fathers office. He'd been in there all day dealing with a load of bullshit. I feel for the guy sometimes, running a mafia isn't the easiest thing to do. 

I knocked on the door two times before I heard his loud voice telling me to enter. 

I opened the door and found him working on his computer. He looked away from the screen and his eyebrows rose when he noticed me standing by the door. 

"Take a seat Lucifer," he said, and I sat down opposite him. "What brings you here? Is Delilah okay?" he asked as soon as I sat down. 

I cleared my throat. 

"She's all good, she's napping right now."

He nodded, satisfied with my response. 

"Then what can I do for you?"

God help me, this is gonna so damn cliche

"Delilah and I have been together for around 5 months now, which may not seem like too long but from the short time we've been together, I know that I never want to live a life without her in it. It hasn't been easy at all, we've had our ups and downs but it's all been worth it."

I paused for a few moments, not wanting to go on a ramble about how in love I am with his beautiful daughter. Even though I could go on about it for days. 

"You are obviously extremely important to her, and you'll be part of our lives forever. I respect you so damn much, you practically saved my life. Even though you hated my guts not that long ago, I can't bring myself to fault you. You gave me a job, a roof over my head, a lot of fucking money, a family, a brotherhood and you've given me your biggest blessing in life."

With one last intake of breathe, I concluded my little speech. 

"Do I have permission to marry Delilah?"

Of course, I would marry my girl with or without anyone's approval, in a heartbeat. But I owe it to Dante to go about it the traditional, respectful way. That man has done so much for me and it's the decent thing to do. After all, I'm going to be in a lifelong relationship with his only daughter, the least I could do is prove to him that I'm worthy of that. And I know Delilah would want me to do this way, and if it makes her happy then I'm doing it. 

Nervous is only a fraction of what I feel at the moment. I never usually find myself feeling anxious, but sitting in front of my future father in law (hopefully) my hands are practically shaking. All I want is for him to say yes. 

After processing everything I said, Dante broke out into a happy grin, looking up from his desk and making direct eye contact with me. 

"Y'know Lucifer, as much as I hate being all soppy in front of my men, I'll make an exception for you. I could not even begin to explain how thankful I am towards you. You're right, my children are my biggest blessings, and you've made my little girl so happy and treat her like a fucking goddess. I was stupid to hate you for what happened, and I regret it everyday."