Chapter 2

Joshua Bassett, the artist who wrote the songs I sing in the shower. Joshua Bassett, the actor who was in my favorite TV show, which I stayed up every Thursday night till midnight to watch new episodes. Joshua Bassett, basically my celebrity crush.

I clear my throat, hoping I'm not as red as I feel, but knowing I probably am.

"Thanks" I say.

The other people who were staring returned to their conversations and didn't pay me or Joshua any attention.

"How long have you been playing?" he asked.

I swallowed. "Since I was 6 or 7," I responded.

He nodded, "Same here".

"I know," I say, then mentally curse myself for being that stupid and letting my mouth run. He looks at me questioningly.

I laugh a nervous laugh and continue, "I just mean I'm a fan and know you play the piano..." Gosh, I hope he doesn't think I'm a crazy stalker.

"Oh cool!" he tells me, and I breathe a sigh of relief.

After a pause he questions, "So do you know any other songs?"

"Any requests?"

"Nope, anything you want to play," and I smile, starting on a new piece.

I'm not really paying attention to what my fingers are doing, I'm more focused on Joshua, who's causally leaning on the piano like he belongs there.

Once I finish the song, he and a couple others clap.

I turn away from the keys and face Joshua, "I have a question,"

"Shoot"

I take a breath, "Could you show me the chord progression to your song, "Sorry"?" I cringe internally. I know that's a nerdy thing to ask but he doesn't seem to think so.

He sits down on the piano bench next to me and smiles. He brings his hands to the piano and plays the first chord and waits for me to mimic him. I do, but hit a wrong note, and blush. He puts his hand over mine and helps me get the right note and I know I'm blushing more than before.

We continue playing the piano together and talk about why we're here in Hawaii. It seems we both are on vacation here for a while. A few minutes pass and I begrudgingly stop and turn to him. "I have to go meet my family but thank you. I am a huge fan, and this was amazing."

"Of course," he says with a smile. "Do you want a picture?"

Oh my gosh I met one of my idols and I didn't even ask for a picture. Am I dumb? Yes, definitely.

I nod, "Thanks, Joshua". We take a selfie and I turn to walk away. Before I can get far he says, "Have a good rest of your vacation..."

"Katie," I tell him.

"Well then have a good rest of your vacation then, Katie," and I walk down the staircase and out the door, only looking back once to see him still at the piano.

***

Two days later I'm at the beach once again, but this time, only with my older sister. I lay on my beach towel, soaking up the sun in my red swimsuit with the little bow, one of my favorites. I reminisce about meeting Joshua as I lay there. That memory has been on a loop in my mind nonstop. I told my family and friends about meeting Joshua Bassett and they all thought it was "cool" or "nice". They didn't get that it was literally the best moment of my life.

Lauren had fallen asleep on her towel, and I adjust the umbrella so she doesn't burn. I decide it's time for a swim and I run into the ocean, the warm water making my muscles relax. I wade into the water, attempting to stay away from the unusually large amount of people in the water today. Once I'm about waist deep, I dive under a wave, letting the salty water rush over me. I don't come up right away, instead I stay under, listening to the rush of the eaves that is only audible under the water.

I come up for air and get ready to back under. I wait for a particularly huge wave and dive under once again. This time, instead of hearing the rush of the ocean, I hear muffled shouts and yelling. This normally wouldn't have bothered me; it could just be a family having fun. But these yells were different. They sounded terrified.

I popped up quickly, surveying my surroundings. People all over me began running the shore, screaming. My heart dropped. Everyone running to shore could only mean one thing. My suspicions were confirmed when I heard a woman shriek, "Shark!"

I begin rushing to the shore with everyone else when I spot an older woman going the opposite way, out to the ocean. I run to her, "This way!" I shout over the noise of splashing and yelling.

"No... no no no. My granddaughter... she's... no... I have to get her." the woman says, clearly in shock.

I turn around and look for who she was talking about. A girl, maybe 5, with brown pigtails and arm floaties, was thrashing in the water, trying to make her way to her grandmother.

Without thinking, I turn back to the woman in front of me and say, "Go to shore, I'll get your granddaughter. Hurry please." She nods

I dive under the water once again and start swimming to the little girl, who had now begun to cry. When I lift my head to look for the girl, I see someone had already gotten to her.

Joshua Bassett.

"Hey," I tell them as I swim up to them. He nods his head in acknowledgment and asks, "Can you take her? I'm going to see if anyone else needs help."

Now it's my turn to nod. I reach for the crying child and just as I'm about to get her in my arms, Joshua gets yanked under the water with such force, I can only imagine what brought him down like that. A shark.

The girl goes down with him but quickly resurfaces, her hair in her face, dripping with water. Joshua pops up a second later and yells, "Go!"

I don't waste any time. I pick her up and begin running back to where people are waiting on the beach, watching this unfold. I'm lucky I'm tall, about 5'9", otherwise I don't think I would have been able to touch the bottom. That would have made things much more difficult.

I reach a man halfway back and give him the girl. "Bring her back."

"Okay," and he starts making his way to the expectant grandmother who's bawling on the shore.

I immediately begin swimming back to Joshua... and the shark.

******

Sorry for the short chapter, I just wanted to get the ball rolling. Stay tuned for what happens next! Don't forget to vote and comment :)

-kb