Chapter 20

The next morning, I wake up at 9 and text Josh.

'Text me when you're up, no rush'

It's Saturday so I don't have to worry about school or practice. I get to spend the entire day with Josh.

I hop in the shower and am out in a flash, too excited to take the long hot shower I wanted. I quickly blow dry my hair, not wanting it to be dripping all day.

As I'm in the middle of picking out my outfit, my phone dings with a text from Josh.

'I got you a surprise'

Before I can text back asking what it is or where he is, he sends me another message.

'Kitchen'

Although it's still pretty cold outside, it being the beginning of February, I put on shorts and a T-shirt. I've always been warm blooded and have a hard time getting cold, so I rarely wear sweatshirts and pants.

I apply some light mascara and lip-gloss and fluff my hair. Geez, why am I wanting to look good for him? Shouldn't I feel this way toward Noah?

It's just friendship, I convince myself. I'm looking good for myself today.

I walk out to the kitchen and spy my sister eating a giant cinnamon roll.

"Hey, where'd you get that?" I ask her.

She barely glances at me as she replies with a mouth stuffed of cinnamon roll, "Josh."

I look over to Josh who is sitting at the counter with my younger brother. He has a box of cinnamon rolls next to him and I approach, hoping there are some left. I can't be too sure because in my family, food goes fast.

Josh pushes the box closer to me and says, "Surprise" with a smile on his face. He knows these are my favorite.

"Sweet thanks" I tell him as I stuff my face with the cinnamon roll.

Josh has an amused look on his face, which i choose to ignore.

My brother and Josh continue the conversation they were having. Something about cars, I don't know.

My mom heads over to us with a pan of eggs that she just made and dishes them on the plates that she had previously set.

We all dig in, and Josh, ever the gentleman says, "Thank you Erin, these are delicious."

"Why you're welcome, Josh. I'm glad someone appreciates my cooking in this house."

I make eye contact with him and roll my eyes. Suckup. Josh just smirks back.

As we eat, I ask Josh what he wants to do today.

"I don't care. It's up to you, you live here, you know what there is to do."

He has a point, although there really isn't anything to do in Fresno. Basically, there's bowling and the movies. That's it.

"We can catch a movie if you're down," I say, grabbing yet another cinnamon roll, making Josh smile.

"Sure, you pick."

I glace up evily, "You sure?"

"Yeah"

After looking at my expression for a few seconds he speaks up, "I'm going to regret that, aren't I?"

"No" I say, at the same time my brother says, "Yes".

I give him a mean look and then focus back on Josh.

"Let's leave in 15 minutes. Sound good?"

He nods and we finish our breakfast.