Chapter 48

I turn off the water and stand up. Maybe someone needed something in the bathroom. I sniffle and attempt to compose myself as I answer, "Y-yes?"

"Katie, it's me, let me in." Josh's voice sounds from the other side of the door.

I can't help but roll my eyes, even as tears continue to leak out. "I'm fine, Josh." My voice is wobblier than I would like it to be, but it sounds better than I thought it would.

He sighs. "No, you're not. Let me help."

I get out of the shower and wrap a towel around me, since I'm done showering, but make no move to open the door.

"Let you help?" I ask incredulously. He was literally the reason I was crying in the first place.

He doesn't answer. Maybe he left.

I hang Crystals suit in the shower to dry then put my hand on the door.

"Josh?" I ask, wondering if he was still out there.

When I don't hear answer, I'm relieved. Good, maybe he realized that he couldn't help me and left.

I open the door a little, just to double check. As soon as the door opens even an inch, its wrenched open from the other side and Josh is standing there. I try to push it closed on him, but I'm no match for Josh's muscular arms.

I give up and let the door be wedged open and take a step back, not wanting to get with the full force of Joshua's strength. Josh uses that as an excuse to step inside and shut the door behind him.

I quickly wipe the tears from my cheeks and will myself not to let any more fall.

He looks at me with sympathy in his eyes and it's too much, so I look away and focus on my feet.

"Katie, what's wrong?"

"Josh, just leave me alone."

I try to get around him but he puts up his arm, blocking me from getting to the door.

"Katie, look at me."

I don't. I stay focused on the ground. I don't think I could handle it. He's too close.

He brings his hand to my chin and lifts it up, making me stare into his brown eyes. It seems as if something's brewing in them, making them so dark they're almost black.

A single tear falls down my cheek and he uses his other hand to wipe it away.

"Talk to me."

I shake my head, making his hands fall away.

"Josh, you can't do this. We're broken up. You..."

I don't have to finish the sentence because we both know what I'm too scared to say. 'You don't love me."

I huff out a breath and start pacing around the small bathroom. "I don't get it!" I say angrily, my voice rising.

"What don't you get?" he asks, his voice now rising.

I turn around to look at him. "Seriously?"

He shrugs, wanting to hear what I have to say.

"First, you dump me without giving me a reason. Then, you never contact me again. And now you're acting like we never even met, even after everything we went through..." and gosh dang it my eyes start welling up with even more tears.

"I-" he begins.

I cut him off, wanting to get everything off my chest. "I told you I loved you, and you just walked away. Who does that?