Chapter 50

I slowly open my eyes and wait for them to adjust to the dim lighting in the room I'm in. My head pounds as I try to remember what happened. Then it hits me.

I notice a head full of curly brown hair resting on my bed next to my hands and with some effort I run my fingers through it.

Josh immediately sits up and stares into my eyes.

"Hey," I say raspily.

"How are you feeling?" He asks, immediately concerned.

I smile weakly, "a little sore but besides that I'm fine." He looks like he doesn't believe me but thankfully doesn't press any further.

Honestly, every single part of my body is sore and tired, and my chest feels heavy, but the pain doesn't seem as bad while he looks at me like this.

"You passed out," Josh explains and I nod. "We got you here and they performed a cardio scar revision I think?" He says the last part like a question, not quite sure.

"Yeah, that sounds right." I can't believe I'm actually here. The mortality rates were so high but yet, here I am.

"Your parents are at a hotel, but will be here soon. You've been recovering for a couple days." After a minute of silence he continues.

"Katie I thought you were fine. You said you were and everything was back to normal."

I shrug, instantly regretting it, pain searing in my chest, "I was for a long time... but then I wasn't. I was supposed to have the surgery next week, after Christmas."

"You knew you were going to have a life-threatening surgery and didn't tell me?"

He's not mad, just sad.

"I didn't think you cared,"  I tell him.

He looks at me incredulously. "Didn't care?" He repeats.

I nod.

"Katie, of course I care. I love you."

I stare at him, still not used to those words coming out of his mouth, directed at me.

"You may be over me but I-"

I smile at take his hand in mine, causing him to stop talking. "Josh, I don't think I'll ever be over you. I love you too much."

His eyes fill with joy and a tear escapes my eye.

I begin moving to the side of my bed and josh startles," what are you doing?"

I grunt softly and continue moving, careful not to tangle the multitude of tubes and wires connected to me. "Moving over," I respond.

Once I'm settled I pat the now empty space next to me. Joshua smiles and gingerly gets on the bed next to me.

Once we're comfortable, I lay my head on his shoulder. With our hands intertwined and the steady rise and fall of Josh breaths, my eyes begin to drift closed.

I lay there in the hospital bed, with the man that loves me and the man who I love, absolutely happy for the first time in a while.

And as I fall asleep, I don't have to come up with a fake fantasy to doze off, because my own fantasy was coming true right now. Josh and me.

**********************

Omgggggg go to next chapter to read something from me 😭

-kb