Chapter 26

That night I'm missing Josh. From the almost kiss, to the talk about Josh  and my relationship, I feel like I need to talk to him. We talked yesterday, but it was a short phone-call, him having to go to the studio and me having to go to practice.

I shoot Josh a text saying, "hey, wanna talk?".

I watch as three bubbles pop up, indicating that Josh is typing back. After a few seconds, the bubbles disappear, with no text form Josh. Weird.

I decide to call him, and after the third ring he picks up.

"Hey Katie."

"Hi," I say, a smile instantly lighting up my face.

"What's up?" he asks.

"Nothing much, I just wanted to talk to you."

I can hear the smile in his voice as he responds, "Aww are you missing me, Katie?"

I roll my eyes, "You wish."

He laughs and says something else, but I can't hear him because wherever he is, is noisy.

"What was that?" I ask ,"I can't hear you."

"I said I miss you too," he clarifies, and I feel butterflies in my stomach.

"Where are you?" I question, still hearing noise in the background.

"In the car. There's some traffic so that's why it's loud."

"Oh, cool. Where are you going? I can hang up whenever you need me to." I tell him.

"Just out to dinner," he says, "And I actually have to go in a minute,, we're pulling up soon."

"Oh fun, are you going out to dinner with anyone?" I ask, thinking if he had told me about an important meeting with anyone that was coming up.

Josh pauses for minute then says, "Nothing important. Just going out with Aiden and Sasha."

"That's good. I hope you have fun."

"I have to go, babe, I'll talk to you later, okay?" Josh tells me as the noise grows louder.

"Ok, b-" the pone call cuts off before I can finish. Oh well.

I was planning on telling him what happened in the bookstore today and possibly have the D.T.R. talk, but it obviously wasn't a good time right now. Maybe tomorrow.

With that thought in mind, I get out my homework and start to work on it.

***

The next morning I get up and quickly shower, hoping to get to school early. After putting my hair in a quick braid and changing into jeans and a T-shirt, as it was unseasonably warm for the end of February, I go to the kitchen and grab some breakfast.

My school starts at 8 and I live about 7 minutes away with traffic, so I leave about 7:30, liking to get there early t talk with friends.

I blast Taylor Swift on my way to school already in a good mood. Even though it was little, JOsh telling me he missed me last night made me happy and gives me butterflies whenever I think about it.

I pull into the parking lot, being the first one of my friend group to arrive, as usual. I pull down the mirror in my car and begin applying mascara to my eyelashes.

Once I finish, I put on a touch of lipgloss and get out of my car. Natalie, Charles, Drew, Kohana, and the rest of the gang were gathered in the parking lot next to Natalie's car, talking. I greeted them and listened in on the conversation that was going on.

"No, because he's a self centered jerk who believes women belong in the kitchen!" Eli exclaims. I laugh because I know who exactly she's talking about. At least twice a week, the topic of Evan comes up in conversation, usually because of a new sexist remark he made the night before at Club Swim practice.

I don't do club, ut ELi and natalie do and apparently, Evan did last night. I don't personally know him, but I hear he has a tendency to make sexist remarks, and Eli takes none of it.

I listen to her rant for a few more minutes before the early bell rings and we all head to class. I go into the North building and make my way upstairs, taking them two at a time with the extra energy I have, due to Josh's and my conversation playing on repeat in my head since last night.

I go through first period in a sort of daze. I took notes on the lecture, but didn't really pay attention. What was wrong with me today?

Luckily, my second period class was just across the hallway from my first period class so I just walk across the hallway once first period ends. I sit at my desk and pull out my phone, waiting for Hannah to get here so we can talk.

As I'm scrolling through instagram, a text message pops up. It's from Josh.

"Sorry I had to cut our call short last night. Can I call you later? I miss you."

There it is again. Those words, "I miss you". They really did do weird things to my chest.

I'm texting back a reply when Hannah comes in the classroom. I look up to say hi but stop short when I see the expression she has on.

She looks worried and concerned. I immediately put my phone down and look at her as she walks up and sits down next to me.

"What's wrong? What happened?" I ask.

Now I'm worried. Hannah's really good at keeping her emotions under control, so me being able to tell that something's not right, means something is really wrong.

"I-" she begins, but the bell cuts her off, signaling the beginning of class.

The announcements come on over the loud speaker, distracting my teacher from starting class os I turn to hannah and whisper, "What's wrong?"

Hannah doesn't look me in the eye and mumbles, "I'll show you later."

She has to show me something ? Why can't she just tell me?

"Why later? Just show me now," I plead.

"I don't want you to get upset," she says, looking at me with sympathy in her eyes.

Now I was starting to get really scared.

"Hannah... what is it?" I ask once again.

She sighs and pulls out her phone, tapping on the screen a few times to pull something up.

She slides her phone over to me and I lean so I can see it better.

"I saw it this morning," she tells me quietly.

It's an article and I read the opening title. Then I read it again. Then again.

It takes a minute, but once I read it for the third time, the meaning actually sinks in.

The blood drains from my face and my stomach sinks, making me feel sick.

"This is a joke, right?" I ask, my voice raspy, tears springing to my eyes.

********************************

Sorry it's short, but eeeeeee stuffs abt to go down!!

What do u guys think the articles about?? 😏

Until next time,
-kb

Ps sorry abt the typos, it's past midnight and I'm tired