Chapter 19

No one says anything for a second, until Eli breaks the silence with, "Wait you guys are actually friends?"

I tilt my head at her with confusion and give a short chuckle, "Yeah."
Did people think that I was lying when I said I was friends with him? I shake that thought from my mind as I focus back to the situation at hand. 

Everyone begins talking with him and taking pictures, so I go get my stuff. I was planning on going home after practice, so I only brought a pair of shorts to wear, but I guess that's better than nothing. I put them on and wrap my hair in my towel, wanting it to dry quickly. I go to the bathroom really quickly and look in the mirror.

My skin is flushed from practice so I splash some cold water on my face, hoping to drive off some of the redness. I reach in my swim bag and pull out lip-gloss and mascara and apply them both lightly. Why do I feel the need to look nice for him?

I take the towel off of my head and run my fingers through my hair, trying to make it look presentable. After a minute or so I give up. This is as good as it's going to get.

I walk out of the bathroom and back to the group of girls surrounding Joshua.

"Hey guys, we have to get going," I tell my friends. 

A few protests but I grab Joshua's arm and drag him away, heading to the parking lot.

"Sorry," I say. "I thought they would just say hi, I didn't know they would swarm you like that. Sometimes I forget how famous you are."

I exaggerate the 'famous' part and he laughs out loud.

"Not a problem, I love meeting fans. Do you want to grab something to eat? I bet you're starving after practice."

My stomach growls at the mention of food. "Sure, any place in particular you want to go?"

"It's your town, you pick."

I smile and unlock my car as we approach.

"Wait, did you drive here? Where's your car?" I ask, looking around.

"It's over there," I says, pointing to the back of the parking lot. "I'll just get it later." 

I nod and get in the car. As we buckle, I suggest we just go through a drive through and eat in my car since I'm still in my swimsuit. 

He agrees and soon we are in the Chick-fil-a drive through ordering food. Josh tries to hand me his card, but I wave him off, insisting it's my treat. Josh just rolls his eyes, but eventually concedes.

I drive to a nearby park and park in the parking lot and turn off the car. 

"So," I say turning to him, "how's life?"

He bites into his chicken sandwich as he eyes me. 

Once he finishes chewing and swallows, he says, "Fine. Nothing really new since I talked to you two days ago."

Oh, I guess that makes sense. "What about you?" he questions.

"Same as you, nothing new." Although that isn't all true. Josh knows I've been on dates with Noah, but I haven't told him about Noha asking me to be his girlfriend or the confused feelings I've been feeling toward answering that question.

Josh and I talk for a while about everything and nothing at the same time. It's nice to be back in his company. He plays me a couple demos of songs he's working on, and they are literally the best thing I've ever heard. 

"Josh!" I exclaim, "They're so good! You're so good!"

He blushes slightly. "They're still a work in progress."