Chapter 10

A week passes and Josh visits three more times. The third time, we're both on my bed again watching Netflix when Bailey walks in.

"Hey," I say.

Bailey nods at me in response and lays on his bed, ready to go to bed, I presume because it's 9 pm.

"There's only 5 minutes left, is that ok?" asking him.

"Yeah, whatever," he responds, lying flat on his back, looking up at the ceiling.

Josh bends down and whispers in my ear, "Who's that?"

"My roommate, Bailey"

Josh looks at me with confusion.

"You know... Bailey. I've told you about him multiple times."

Josh whisper yells, "No, you told me about your roommate Bailey who goes to bed early and likes watching the Great British Bakeoff and does your nails sometimes."

I nod, "Yeah, exactly. Why do you look so confused?"

"Because Bailey's a guy!" Josh's voice was now a little too loud for comfort and I was scared that my roommate would hear.

"Shhh! What about him being a guy?" I ask.

"I thought your new roomie was a girl! What are they thinking putting a random guy in the same room as you?"

"They put me in the same room as you too, some random guy. Remember?" I remind him.

"That's not the same," he informs me.

"Why?"

"Because you know me know and we're friends and..." he trails off.

"And what?"

"And I just don't like the idea of some random guy sharing a room with you, that's all."

"It wasn't my decision. But trust me, I'd rather be sharing with you."

We drop it and continue watching our show, but something feels different. I don't know why, but Josh says he doesn't want anyone else to be in the room with me... does that mean he likes me? I mean, I know we're friends.

No that's stupid. He is happily dating Sabrina right now and Josh and I are just friends.

'It's better that way. It's how it should be,' I try to convince myself.

But I can't keep the small smile off my face when I think about what Josh said, or rather, what he implied. That he doesn't want another guy in the room with me, but if the guy was him, it would be okay.

We got tired of Lucifer and switched over to a movie. About halfway through, I'm so tired that I lay my head on Josh's shoulder and he shifts to make me more comfortable. A few minutes later, the sound of Joshua's heartbeat lulls me to sleep.

***

2 Months Later...

I'm sitting in Dr. Olsen's office by myself this time, my parents are nowhere to be seen. My 18th birthday was a few days ago. I got birthday texts from my friends and my family came down for the day and we went out to dinner. Joshua even called and wished me a happy birthday. Then, he apologized that he couldn't wish me one in person, he was filming all day. He promised we would celebrate when he was able.

I was now 18 and my parents didn't need to drive down here to LA to attend my doctor's appointments.

"I have some great news," Dr. Olsen says with a huge grin. Dr. Jacobs even made an appearance, so I knew it was big, but I didn't want to get my hopes up.

I was supposed to leave the hospital two weeks ago, but the doctors didn't want me to leave just yet. The scar tissue had slowed down dramatically and recently had even stopped altogether. It really was a miracle.

I wait for her to continue, which she does. "Based on your latest MRI and your lab work, you are officially cleared to go."

"Like leave the hospital? Forever?" I ask, not believing what I'm hearing.

"Yes," Dr. Jacobs says, and he's smiling too.

"Wait, what about my MRIs for my chest? Don't I still have to do those?"

"We've talked to a specialist in your hometown who can do the scans and send them to us to review, here. And," she adds, "you only need to get a scan every 4-6 weeks, instead of every 2."

I blink. Not only was I able to go home, but I also didn't have to come back ever again... hopefully. I look to each of the doctors' faces slowly and then comment a little too loudly, "Finally!"

They both laugh and I stand up and give them each a hug, surprising them. "Thank you," I tell them.

Then I walk quickly to my room to gather my stuff. I would run, but I only got off crutches a week ago and I didn't want to push it. I was able to walk, but even that was difficult if I was too tired or standing for a long time.

I put all of my belongings in 2 suitcases that my mom had brought on one of her trips to visit me. I finish packing within 15 minutes and head to the front of the hospital. I had told my family the good news and they were excited for me, but my parents didn't want me to come home tonight since it was already evening. While I was packing, I had called an uber to take me to a hotel where I would be staying for the night until I headed back to Fresno in the morning.

I reach the uber and slide in after I load my suitcases in the trunk. I give the driver the address and we begin driving.

In my haste to get out of the hospital, I had forgotten to tell Josh the good news. I send him a quick text, "Guess who's finally free?"

Not one minute later, Josh calls me.

"Really?!" he asks excitedly.

"Really," I respond.

"This is perfect!" he tells me, "We can celebrate your birthday and your newfound freedom all at once! Tonight!"

"Don't you have a dinner you're supposed to go to with your managers?" I question, knowing he does because he had told me just the other day how much he was dreading it.

"Yeah, but that's earlier. I'm actually heading there now."

"I don't know, Josh. I'm kind of tired and just want to read or something."

"No way," he tells me, "I'll pick you up at 9."

******************************** 

They're both finally out of the hospital!! Will they still remain friends?

Don't forget to vote, share, and comment!

-kb ;)