Chapter 23

A few weeks later, we have at three day weekend so I decide to go visit Josh in LA, since it's only a three hour drive.

Josh is excited that I'm visiting, and honestly, so am I. I've missed him. Sure, we talk everyday, but it's not the same as being with him in person.

I start the drive early on Saturday morning, wearing a pink skirt with tights underneath and a crème sweater. I've curled my hair and put it up halfway, leaving strands of hair framing my face. Today was going to be special.

The drive there is uneventful and soon I'm pulling up to the closed gate that surrounds one of the many Disney filming studio compounds. Josh was currently in one of them, filming hsmtmts with his costars.

There is a small security building outside of the gate. I roll down my window as a man approaches.

"Can I help you, miss?" the man asks.

"Um, yes, hi, I'm here to visit Studio 6." I tell him, giving him the studio number that Josh texted me this morning.

"Name?" he orders, looking down at his clipboard, looking bored with our conversation.

"Katie Barstow."

His eyes roam down the page and back up it again, showing no signs that he sees my name. My stomach drops. Did Josh forget to put my name on the list? It would be so embarrassing if I was turned away.

A few seconds go by and the man flips to another page that's attaches to his clipboard. His eyes scan that page and stop briefly. Then, he looks up and says, "Go ahead, Studio 6 is on your left."

I sigh a breath of relief and roll up my window after thanking him. The man presses something and the gate begins to open.

After parking, I walk up to an enormous white block building with a black 6 on the side, as well as 6's printed on every door.

I approach the closest door and open it, stepping in.

I'm transformed into an entirely different world. Instead of parking lots and boring buildings, there are colorful sets and numerous lights. Cameras are everywhere you look, most of them trained on a particular set depicting the living room of a house.

People are talking and walking around quickly, going about their business. I stand there for a moment, awestruck, until a girl, probably a few years older than me comes up to me.

"Do you need something?" she asks, looking at me with a disgusted look on her face.

"I'm looking for Joshua Bassett," I explain, tying to be courteous.

Her face scrunches up even more, if possible, making it look like she's smelling something bad. "Can I ask why?"

I'm getting the vibe that this girl doesn't particularly trust me, but no one else is helping me so she's the best chance I have of finding him in the swarm of people and equipment.

"I'm a friend. He's expecting me," I Say.

She doesn't look convinced but must decide I'm not worth the hassle because she eventually rolls her eyes, sighs, and says, "He's doing a scene right now. You can wait over there." She points to an array of furniture, mostly seating items, along with a few tables.

"Thanks," I tell her, earning another eye roll in response. I guess the myth of having to be cheery to work for Disney was a myth after all.

I cross the floor and sit in a comfortable chair, resting my arms on a table. I tap my fingers, my nerves getting the best of me and look around, trying to see if I can spot where Josh is doing a scene. It's obviously not in the living room set that's currently set up Maybe outside or in another area of the studio?