Chapter 35

I woke up to the sun hitting my face.

I was sprawled on the bed and when my memories from the night before resurfaced I felt my cheeks burn.

I shoved my face into the pillow next to me and after a moment or two, I finally realized Bucky wasn't next to me.

I look around and the room is empty.

I get up and feel a bit sore but nothing too bad.

I walk out into the hallway and that's when I hear the shower running. The bathroom door is closed and I make my way to the kitchen to grab a snack.

I thought I'd shower after he's done because I feel sticky and gross.

In the best way possible of course because last night was anything but.

After a couple more minutes I find him walking out without a shirt using a towel to dry his hair.

I nearly choked on my bread as I see his abs glistening from the damp water still very prominent on his body.

"Morning," he says with a subtle smile.

"Morning," I say trying to hide my face that I'm sure is crimson red by now.

"Sorry I didn't say anything, I didn't want to wake you," he says.

I wave and shake my head.

"That's fine. It's okay. You're good."

He looks at me with withering brows.

"You okay?"

"Mhm," I say now finishing my bread and avoiding eyes contact.

I hear him step closer and I can feel his gaze on me.

I make the mistake of looking at him for a second. His eyes narrowed as he inspects my facial expression.

I look away immediately.

"Mm, I see," I hear him say. I can picture the smirk on his face.

He's smiling?

"What?" I ask now confused looking at him.

"You're doing that thing where you avoid eye contact because you feel...I don't know embarrassed? Which you shouldn't because last night was amazing," he says self-assured before giving me a quick peck on the lips and grabbing a piece of the croissants I had in a box.

I watch him sit down across from me.

"No, I'm not. I-I just-"

"You did it the first time we did anything. Or... when I did anything," he says with a smirk.

I swallow away the lump in my throat that was about to arise in the form of a choke.

"Well, it's just the first time I was a bit nervous. I didn't think anything would ever lead to that.."

"And the last time? Last night?"

"The last time when I-"

I couldn't get myself to say anything. His smug smile made it hard for me to continue.

"It's just..different with you.."

His smile falters and he looks confused.

"How so?"

I finally met his eyes and decided to be truthful to him. If we're going to make this work we have to be honest.

"I've never cared about anyone this much,
Like I care about you. I guess I was afraid I'd..disappoint you. I never worried about disappointing anyone because I didn't care. Not until I met you."