Chapter 36

I stumbled on this golfing place a while back and it looked insane. I was with Stacey and we had a pretty good time.

"Wow these lights are blinding," Bucky says squinting as he adjusts to the lights in here.

"Yeah I know," I say eagerly tugging him along with me.

"You know when you said you had a cool place you wanted to show me...this isn't what I expected. You do know how old I am right?" He asks making me roll my eyes.

He then mouths the numbers 106.

I laugh and keep his hand intertwined with mine as we walk around.

The place was dark with harsh neon lights glowing.

I've never been to a place like this before.

"I came once with Stacey," I say close to him over the music in here.

It's a trippy place.

"Really? And it didn't give you a headache?" He asks chuckling sheepishly as he looks around with his eyes still remaining squinting.

"Well no, we were not exactly...all there," I say with the little smile looking at my feet and back at Bucky quickly as I continue to lightly swing my golf putt back and forth.

"What does that mean?" He asks in curiosity with a sneaky grin.

I pressed my lips together trying to hide my goofy smile. Walking along the whole place as I feel his stare boring into me.

"We were high," I say flinching as the words come out avoiding his gaze.

I finally turn to see his surprised, yet amused expression.

"You? You both were high?"

"Yep. It makes this whole place a bit more enjoyable but nonetheless, it's pretty cool here."

"And when was this?" He asks in a jokingly disapproving tone.

"A few years ago, before I met you."

He looked like he wanted to say something but didn't.

He's been giving a lot of those looks and I don't know whether I'd prefer he'd just ask me or whether I'm glad he doesn't.

"So why didn't you bring some goodies for us?" He asks as his mood seemingly changes.

"You've smoked before?" I asked a bit shocked.

"Did you forget who I am darling?" He asks seeming offended.

Ah yes. Good old Bucky from the 40s.

"How could I," I say smiling to myself as we continue walking off.

We walk past this course with a clown on it. The goal is to get the golf ball into the mouth.

"How'd you take it? Your first time? I mean, that wasn't my first time smoking. The first time freaked me out a bit. I remember I did it with a friend of Stacey at a party after I moved in with Tony. I thought it could take my mind off of...everything. I wasn't exactly getting along with him."

He looked at me with an expression I couldn't decipher before he spoke up.

"My first time, I was trying to look cool," he says with a little smile looking ahead of him like he's reminiscing it. "When it hit me I was internally freaking out but..on the outside, I tried to keep it cool."

I laughed at that. I can picture a young Bucky freaking out but trying desperately to hide it. I'm sure I would've noticed.

"Man, I wish I knew you then," I say smiling up at him.