[1] Heroes Always Get Remembered

YN shook the rain from her coat as she pushed her front door open, sighing as she blinked the water from her eyelashes. It had begun pouring on her way home, soaking both herself and the bags of groceries in her hands.

YN dropped the bags on the counter, glaring at them as they sagged pathetically. Starting to unpack them, YN whistled under her breath, trying to keep her mood from dropping with the temperature in New York.

The T.V. was playing in the living room, and YN shook her hands as she geared herself up to step into the room. She heard muffled snoring, which put a tiny smile on her face, causing her to step around the wall and face the old man on the sofa.

YN sat on the edge of the couch, biting her lip as she stared at her brother. The woman felt her chest grow tight as she took in his wrinkled features, what used to be taut, chiseled skin, was drooping with age. Growing uncomfortable with her emotions, YN stuck her foot out and kicked his leg, forcing a smile as he blinked his eyes open.

"You were snoring." YN commented, dropping her gaze to her fiddling fingers.

"I don't snore." He retorted, grunting softly as he re-situated himself on the couch. "Did you get the groceries?" YN nodded, still not returning her eyes to him. "How are you-"

"What are you watching?" YN interrupted him, slipping into her usual chair and sinking low in it. Picking up the remote, she heard her brother sigh in defeat, shifting again on the sofa he rarely moved from these days.

She flicked the channels quickly until the sounds of chanting caught her attention and a marching band started blasting a familiar tune. YN stared in shock as a blonde man ran onto the screen, holding a nausea inducing shield.

"Ladies and gentleman, your new Captain America!"

"What the fuck?" YN said quietly, her eyes widening as they turned to her brother, the blue-eyed man sending her a sad smile. "Did you know about this?" YN glared at him, getting to her feet. "Did you fucking know about this, Steve?"

Steve nodded, receiving a range of profanities from his sister. "Sam turned it over, YN. It was out of my hands."

YN scoffed, throwing the remote at him, which he caught with ease. Even with age, the super soldier was still just that, a super soldier. "Yeah, you really made sure of that, huh?" She muttered, storming from the room as Steve called after her, not moving from the sofa even though he longed to move like he used to. "I'm going to call Bucky, he's either fuming or devastated."

YN slammed the front door behind her, stepping back out into the rain and descending the steps with ease, her increased coordination making sure she didn't slip. She jogged down the road, her eyes searching for somewhere she could take cover, refusing to go back into the suffocating apartment she'd just escaped from.

Lifting her phone to her ear, YN tapped her foot as she waited, shielded from the rain by a pergola outside a closed antique store. She cursed under her breath as it went to voicemail, automatically hitting redial, knowing Bucky was probably ignoring her on purpose.

"YN." Bucky said firmly, the woman sighing sadly as she recognized the tone of voice.

"Hey, Buck." YN whispered, swallowing over a lump as she tried to shake away her own emotions for the sake of the brunette on the other end of the phone. "How are you?"

"Did he know?" YN's bottom lip wobbled at the question, pressing her back against the cool, wet glass of the shop window. "YN?"

YN screwed up her face, gladly knowing Bucky couldn't see her. "Yeah," she choked out painfully. "He knew."