[17] The Pros and Cons of Breathing

Sam sighed as he helped YN onto a seat on the jet, her head tipping back as her eyes fluttered shut. The bleeding to the back of her head had clotted a few minutes into their car trip and the side effects to the concussion were long worn off, now all her body felt was exhaustion. She felt as if it was an effort to even fill her lungs with air, to swallow the saliva that built in her mouth.

"When was the last time you slept?" Bucky asked, sitting next to YN after Sam had disappeared to get a glass of water. YN made a noise of acknowledgment but other than that left the question unanswered, making Bucky huff in annoyance. "Don't be a little shit," he growled, leaning down closer to her ear as Sam approached. "I know you, I can almost guarantee you've deprived yourself of all basic human rights since Steve..." Bucky coughed, licking his lips quickly.

"Like you can talk," YN responded, opening her eyes and watching Bucky from the corner of them. "When was the last time you slept, huh?" Bucky sat back, an annoyed scowl on his face, unable to continue their conversation as Sam approached, his hand outstretched toward YN. "That's what I thought." YN turned to Sam with a large smile, waving off the disappointed shake of Bucky's head. "Thanks, Wilson."

"No problems," he returned, sitting across from her with a smile to match YN's. "Are you feeling okay?" YN nodded, swallowing the entirety of the glass in one large gulp.

"Much better." She grinned, knowing it would annoy Bucky even further. "Where are we headed?"

Just as Sam opened his mouth to respond his phone buzzed in his pocket, making the man answer it quickly after checking the name. "Torres." He greeted, stepping away from the pair across from him.

Gaining more time alone, Bucky kicked YN's ankle, causing a yelp of pain to leave her mouth before a burning glare turned to him. "When was the last time you slept?" He asked again. "Don't bullshit me."

"Fucking hell," YN groaned. "I don't know? Tuesday?" Bucky's eyes widened, surprise evident there, making YN think he may have gotten the wrong idea.

"Tuesday?" YN winced, looking down. "Well, that's alright, it's only Thursday." YN nodded, still not meeting his eye. "Wait..." He frowned. "Tuesday... this week, right?" YN licked her lips, finally meeting his eye with a guilty look. "Oh my... you haven't slept in over a week!" His voice was low, but YN could tell he was struggling not to yell at her.

"Could you keep it down!" She returned, punching Bucky's arm roughly. "I don't want to worry Sam."

"Well, maybe I should tell him, considering you aren't going to listen to me." Bucky growled. "Don't do this to yourself, YN, you'll get yourself killed."

"Oh, give the big brother bit a rest, Buck." YN chuckled, zero humor in the action. "I already had one of those, and he left me alone. Maybe you should do the same." Bucky sat back, his face pale in shock as YN's mouth snapped shut, the words too quick for her to stop. Too proud to take them back, YN got to her feet and moved to the other side of the plane, sinking low in her seat with her arms crossed.

Sam emerged from the back room shortly after, his eyebrows pulling together when he noticed the new distance between his two friends. Noticing YN had earphones jammed into her ears, he chose to sit down quietly across from Bucky, who was glaring heatedly at his hands.

Sam sighed after a few moments of silence, catching the brunette's attention. "You okay?" Bucky asked, and Sam had to hold back a surprised chuckle at the super soldier's concern.

"Yeah. Just thinking about all the shit Sharon had to go through." Sam murmured. "And Nagel referring to the American test subject like Isaiah wasn't even a real person, and the way YN got worked up when she realized that samples of her blood were still floating around HYDRA over seventy years later." Sam shook his head. "Just makes me wonder how many people have to get steamrolled to make way for this hunk of metal."