[22] American Made

"She said to come alone." Sam said, strapping his wings onto his back.

YN and Bucky scoffed at the same time, already trailing behind him as if the words he said didn't mean anything at all. "Well, that's bullshit."

"We're coming with you." Bucky agreed.

They didn't have to go far so Sam took off as YN and Bucky jumped onto a motorcycle, YN holding onto Bucky from behind. They arrived a few minutes later, the bike barely stopping as YN jumped onto the pavement. Sam walked over, his arms crossed over his chest and a tight frown pulling his eyebrows together.

"You two stay behind," he murmured as the other two nodded. "I just need to talk her down."

They followed Sam into the building, staying a few feet behind him. They came to a balcony where they finally laid eyes on the ginger girl, her hands on her hips and a stern expression on her face. She was pacing quickly until she heard them approach, her young features still startling YN.

"Karli!" Sam shouted, stalking closer. "You called my sister? That's how we're gonna play this?"

Karli swallowed, her eyes darting between Sam and his two companions. "I would never hurt her, I just needed to get your attention."

"A phone call would have worked." YN muttered lowly.

Karli met her eyes and YN had to refrain from sighing in frustration. "I can see you, um, didn't come alone."

"Karli, enough is enough. You have to end this now." Sam demanded, stealing her attention back.

"I don't want to hurt you, Sam." Karli whispered, stepping closer. "You're a tool in the regimes I want to destroy." Sam frowned, slightly confused on where their conversation was headed. "You're not hiding behind a shield."

"She better be talking about Walker and not Steve." YN growled low enough for only Bucky to hear, her skin prickling with rage.

"If I was to kill you it would be meaningless." YN scoffed and Karli glared at her. "I'm not a monster."

"No," YN disagreed, her nose crinkling as she scoffed. "You're a serial terrorist."

"I was going to ask you to join me," Karli sighed, looking back to Sam. "Or do the world a favor and let me go."

YN's earpiece crackled as Sharon's voice rang through, her words making the hairs on YN's skin lift in alarm. "Guys, new cap is moving, looks like he's found them..."

YN frowned as she remembered Karli's words. "Or they've found him." Sam looked back to YN who nodded, alerting him that John was possibly in danger. "It's Walker." Sam swung at Karli to distract her but wasn't fast enough as she collected Bucky on his way to the floor below. YN used the commotion to hurtle herself over the balcony, allowing Sam to catch her by her underarms.

"I'll send you the location," Sam called, lifting both himself and YN into the air. "Go!" Bucky took off in a sprint as Sam flew over the building, still gripping YN by her arms.

"Drop me by the entrance, I'll take first floor!" YN shouted as their target building came into view. Sam grunted in agreeance, lowering himself close enough to the ground for YN to roll away from him as he continued up.

Sprinting through the door that was already wide open, YN stopped to focus her senses on the building, her eyes closing for just a second before the loud grunting from the floor above gathered her attention. Racing up the concrete steps, YN was about to make her entrance when her body was hit from the side, tossing her over the railing and back down to the ground floor.

Grunting in pain, she jumped to her feet just in time to dodge a fist aimed right for her face. She took the opportunity to swing low and kick her offender in the stomach, sending them flying into the wall across from them. Not giving them any time to recover, YN laid a knockout punch to their nose and watched them quickly fall into a pile of limp limbs on the floor.

Moving back up the stairs, this time more cautiously, YN kicked open the door where the commotion was coming from, only just dropping to the floor in time to dodge the shield that planted itself in the wall behind her. Seeing her opportunity, YN ripped it from the cracked concrete and held it by her side, smiling to herself at the familiar weight.

Lifting it, YN found herself battling with a member of the Flagsmashers as she tried to gauge who was in the room. John was fighting hand to hand with another assailant, his punches hitting harder than they ever had before, making YN's stomach curl in disbelief. Noticing another man lurking behind, YN used her strength to hurtle the shield at him, clocking him in the chest and sending him back into the wall, leaving a sizeable crack in it.

John collected the shield on its way past, much to YN's annoyance, but she didn't have time to dwell as yet another fist came flying toward her. She noticed Lemar sluggishly fighting off his attacker as Sam and Bucky finally made their entrance.

"Nice of you to show up!" YN called, grunting as she was kicked in the stomach, sending her back a few steps.

"We had a delay!" Bucky shouted, scowling as he took on a large man. The fight was growing out of control, yet YN couldn't stop focusing on John and the new weight his hits held, how agile and precise he now was.

A loud female shout was heard in the center of the room and YN quickly turned to find Lemar fighting off a very agitated Karli. YN opened her mouth to scream at him to stop, that she was too strong for him to take on but Karli was quicker, punching him in the chest and sending his body flying back into a bollard where an agonizing crack silenced the room.

YN gasped as the man fell in a heap, his head lolling forward, chin to chest and a drop of blood falling from his mouth. Everyone in the room stilled in shock, not believing what had just happened. No one moved until YN found herself at his side, her fingers hesitantly lifting to press against his pulse line.

John was soon in front of her, gripping his friend's face and calling his name repeatedly. "Lemar? Lemar, c'mon." YN swallowed, her mouth opening to form some comforting words, but nothing escaped as John lifted his eyes to meet hers. His eyes were harder than rock, his jaw clenched as anger shook his body.

He lifted a hand and shoved YN back, causing her to fall back onto her hands harshly. Bucky knelt down to help her up as the remaining Flagsmashers bolted from the room, the three Avengers and John still in too much shock to do anything about it for a moment.

YN quickly got to her feet when she shook off her surprise, grabbing Bucky and Sam and sprinting after Karli, trying to stop her from getting away again. Bucky was ahead and YN was close on his tail as Sam flew above them, trying to scout out the area for any sign of them.

A loud smash from a window above them caused YN to look over and see John just landing behind a man who was trying his best to get away from him. YN diverted away from her two friends to race after him, knowing the look in his eye from earlier could possibly mean something terrible.

She caught up to him as they entered a parade square and YN gasped in shock as John, very publicly, kicked this man onto the steps. YN approached him from behind, yelling at him to stop. The shield was suddenly flung at her, rebounding off of her chest and sending her flying backward and into a crowd standing behind her.

She got to her feet as screams of terror filled the air and YN's mouth fell open at the sight before her. John was lifting the shield from where he had plunged it deep into this man's neck, so far that it had practically decapitated him. Over and over, John laid the shield down, blood coming up and splattering itself all over both himself and her brothers legacy.

YN stumbled back, her ears ringing and her eyes watering. She looked over to see Sam and Bucky staring with wide eyes, equally as shocked as YN. When she looked back, John was gone, leaving the body of the Flagsmasher lying still in the parade square, as if a display for the public.

A pair of hand were on her shoulders, trying to coax her out of the panic induced state she was in. Sam's voice was muffled over the blood pounding past her eardrums, and she could barely make out the brown eyes that were leaking concern in front of her.

"We need to go," Sam said, grabbing her arm. "C'mon."