[4] Was Mine and Taken

"We have a problem."

"No shit," Bucky groaned, getting to his feet and dusting off his pants. "They were super soldiers. Strong ones too."

YN nodded, spinning on her heel as they started to walk back to the nearest town. "I didn't know anyone was trying to replicate the serum." YN murmured, slightly uncomfortable with the topic of conversation. "Let alone being successfully making super soldiers, and training them." Sam watched her as she wrung her hands nervously, the fight they'd just been in weighing on her brain. "They looked like kids."

Bucky sent a worried look to his friend, placing a hand on her shoulder momentarily. They walked, mostly, in silence, apart from the occasionally grunt of discomfort from the two men, having take a harsh beating. Sam was definitely concealing a few major bruises, YN could see it in the way his shoulders would sag and lift as if it was an effort to keep one foot moving in front of the other.

"You alright?" YN whispered, knowing Sam didn't like making a fuss of his lack of super strength. However, YN was slightly concerned as to how the falcon was doing after the fight where they were highly outnumbered. Sam nodded, shooting a small glance to her to warn her to drop it. Nodding in response, YN focused back on the road.

"We gotta figure out where the serum's coming from." Sam eventually said, rolling his shoulders, YN noticing the small scrunch of his nose in response.

"Yeah." Bucky nodded from the other side of her, but YN's attention didn't move from Sam, the woman feeling as if, if she moved her gaze from him, she'd miss something that would tell her whether Sam was really okay or not.

"And how in the hell after years are there eight Super Soldiers runnin' loose?" YN felt slightly at ease that Sam was still acting himself and her worry soo dissipated, allowing her to remove her glare from him.

The sound of a truck approaching made YN groan, already having a feeling who it might be before it honked and swerved around the trio.

"So that didn't go as planned, huh?" YN curled a lip at him as the two men ignored his presence altogether. They kept walking, making John motion for the car to keep pace. " Look, at least we know what we're up against now, huh?"

"We?" Bucky scoffed and YN had to press her lips together to stop herself from laughing. "Who's we?"

"C'mon, Bucky, help me out here, what are we up against? Aliens? Wizards-"

"Super soldiers, you imbecile." YN muttered, fisting her hands at her sides. "And stop saying we." John stared at her, licking his lips distastefully, which YN felt both disgusted and satisfied she could bring the man such anger.

"We gotta work together-"

"Not going to happen." Bucky interrupted as the three of them continued to walk behind the truck.

"I think we stand a much better chance if we all just..."

"Just because you carry the shield, doesn't mean you're Captain America." Bucky interrupted again, glaring at the blonde man.

"Look, I've done the work, okay?"

"Oh yeah, you ever jump from an airplane, no 'chute to save over one hundred men with nothing but a prop shield?" YN growled, clenching her strong fists by her side.

"Not necessarily, but-" YN scoffed, stopping the man's sentence with a glare of hatred. "Look, I'm not like Steve, or Bucky, or you, especially you, you're so small and... angry." YN raised an eyebrow as the vehicle came to a stop, nearly tempted to walk straight past it. "But I can help. Come on, get in."

YN sat between Sam and Bucky, her legs pressed together tightly. She held her knife between her fingers, flipping it and effectively putting the two men across from her on edge. John eyed the knife nervously, clearing his throat to try and get her to stop, frowning when he was unsuccessful.

Sam pressed his lips together to stop a smile overtaking his features, appreciation for the scowling woman beside him growing with every uncomfortable look he was given by the mock Captain America and his companion.

"I'm sorry, who are you?" YN interrupted yet another conversation, staring the relaxed man in the eye.

"I'm Lemar Hoskins." Sam scoffed, his leg pressing against YN's and surprising her once again.

"Look, I see a guy hanging out of a helicopter, I'm going to need a lot more than Lemar Hoskins." Sam said, lifting his arm and placing it behind YN, the woman glancing at him from the corner of her eye and smirking softly.

"I'm Battlestar, John's partner." YN curled her lip at the joke this man was making of himself.

"Battlestar?" YN asked, in complete disbelief. "Oh, fuck this." YN got to her feet, the vehicle still moving and pushed Sam out of the way. "You're a mockery of a man," she said, pointing a John with a sneer. "You do not deserve that shield."

With that, the woman grabbed the roll bar of the vehicle and jumped, rolling on the road and getting to her feet, walking off the side of the road.

"Stop the car!" Bucky called quickly, also getting to his feet and opening the back door, a lot less dramatically than the woman had done. Bucky jumped onto the asphalt, walking away from the vehicle in the same direction YN had gone.

"Look, I get it. I do, you didn't think the shield would end up here. I get it, Bucky!" He called after the super soldier. "And I'm... I'm not trying to be Steve. I'm not trying to replace Steve. I'm just trying to be the best Captain America I can be." Sam sighed, relenting slightly at the man's spiel. "It'd be a whole lot easier if I had Cap's wingmen on my side."

Sam scoffed, getting to his feet and pointing at the so-called captain. "It's always that last line."