[20] The Mighty Fall

Zemo groaned as YN sat next to him, a small towel filled with ice in her hand. He was only just fluttering his eyes open as she leant over to press it against his temples. "Thank you, my dear." YN smiled down at him softly, wincing as he did when she applied a small amount of pressure. "Been a while since I have taken a knock like that to the head."

YN chuckled as Zemo replaced her hand, allowing her to move back as he sat upright. "You probably have a concussion, if I'm honest."

"Nothing I can't handle." She nodded as she got to her feet, her mood still low from her earlier conversation with John.

Sam sat on the couch opposite Zemo, his fingers tapping furiously on the laptop in his lap. His eyebrows were furrowed deep on his face, brown eyes completely focused on the screen in from of him. Zemo cleared his throat, accepting a glass of water from YN who fell into an arm chair.

"Destroying the serum was probably the only thing I can say was successful from today," YN murmured, a cool towel covering her eyes, trying to settle the brewing headache in her own temples. "Not that we can confirm all of it was destroyed."

"I am almost certain all of them were crushed." Zemo confirmed, wincing again as he moved the ice on his head. Sam made a noise of acknowledgment as he continued to type. "Were you ever offered it?"

"What?" Sam asked, realizing he was being addressed.

"The serum? Were you ever offered it?" Zemo repeated.

"No."

"If you had been, hypothetically, that is, would you have taken it?" YN cocked her head, also interested in what Sam had to say.

"No." Sam responded quickly without a second thought, causing YN to frown slightly. "I know I wouldn't."

"No hesitation." Zemo nodded, looking as if he respected Sam's answer. "Impressive." YN, slightly put off by the conversation, go to her feet to grab herself a drink. She got to the bar and felt a pair of eyes on her, causing her to glance up to meet Sam's, who were staring at her sadly. Zemo said something quietly, and YN, not focused enough to hear it, frowned as Sam looked away quickly.

The door opened as Bucky entered, breaking YN's train of thought. "Something's not right with Walker."

"You can say that again." YN muttered, lifting a glass of whiskey to her mouth and downing its contents.

"Well, I know a crazy when I see one," Bucky continued. "Because I am one."

"No one is arguing with that." YN grinned, earning a brotherly glare from the brunette.

"Shouldn't have given him the shield, Sam." YN rolled her eyes as the conversation once again took this path.

"I didn't." Sam groaned.

"Well, Steve definitely didn't." Bucky retorted, and YN huffed loudly.

"Steve knew what was happening, so don't put the blame on Sam, James." YN said sternly. "If you're going to blame anyone, blame the government that tricked Sam into thinking it was going to become a monument, no some prop for a sham."

Before anyone could continue the argument, the door flew open and John barged in. "All right, I'm ordering you to turn him over."

"Ordering?" YN laughed loudly, downing another whiskey.

"Slow your roll," Sam protested, lifting his hand. "Shield or no shield, the only thing you're runnin' here is your mouth." YN pressed her lips together to repress another laugh at Sam's words. "Now, I had Karli and you overstepped."