[10] Life Goes On

The next morning was strange, the atmosphere of the small Brooklyn apartment was stuffy and uncomfortable as Sam and Bucky sat at the kitchen counter, mugs of coffee slowly going cold in their hands. YN had yet to leave her room, and Sam watched Bucky's gaze continue to flick back to it with every small noise that could mean she would appear.

"How are you doing, man?" Sam eventually said, pushing the stone-cold coffee away from himself. Bucky looked up, slightly shocked at Sam's concern. "C'mon, give me some credit, he was my friend too."

Bucky sighed, rubbing his hand over his short brown tuffs. "I'm worried about her..." He shook his head, getting to his feet to place their mugs in the sink. "She doesn't always handle herself well in these circumstances."

Sam frowned, pursing his lips in confusion. "She always seemed pretty stable to me?" He commented, crossing his arms as he watched Bucky lean against the sink.

"I am stable, thank you, Sam." The two men jumped at the feminine voice, Sam and Bucky quickly turning to see YN exiting her room with a ruck sack over her shoulder. "What are you two doing, just standing around? We have a job to do."

Bucky sent Sam a look and the shorter man took it as an 'I told you so.' "YN?" Bucky asked, stepping closer to the woman as she bent over to tie the laces on her boots. "What are you doing?"

"What does it look like, James?" YN sighed out, standing back up and placing her hands on her hips. "I'm getting my ass back into gear to get this super soldier problem under control."

Bucky shook his head, a defeated sigh leaving his mouth as he, yet again, ran a hand over his head. "YN-"

"She's right." Sam interrupted, earning a heated glare from the brunette man. "I got a call from Torres..." He shrugged, turning away from the angered scowl.

"Alright, I've got my sack sorted, you?" Sam nodded, having not even unpacked it. "Great, meet you in the car." The door to the apartment swung shut and before Sam could blink, Bucky had a finger in his face, a very unimpressed expression directed at him.

"What the hell was that? You know she should be dealing with what happened yesterday." Sam nodded, lightly shoving Bucky from his personal space.

"I know."

"Then what the hell, Sam?"

Sam sighed as he moved down the hall to collect his belongings, Bucky hot on his tail. "She needs a distraction," Bucky scoffed but Sam continued, stepping away from his bed, shouldering his bag. "If she wants to do this, then that's her decision, if she decides half way there, she'd rather lock herself in her room, she can do that too."

Bucky was silent as they both left the apartment with their things, but before they could step out of the building, he grabbed Sam's shoulder. "She's going to break at some point."

Sam nodded, smacking the side of Bucky's flesh arm. "We all will, man."

---------------------------------

"Hey, it's Black Falcon." A kid called as YN trailed behind the two men. "What's up?"

Sam chuckled, raising his brows slightly. "It's just Falcon, kid."

"No, no." The kid shook his head. "My daddy told me it's Black Falcon."

"Is it because I'm Black and I'm the Falcon?" YN sighed, crossing her arms as she leant against a power pole, earning a glance of concern from the other super soldier.

"Well, technically... I mean, yeah."

"So, are you like... Black kid?" Sam pressed his lips together in fight of a smile before he chuckled and smacked the kid's shoulder, fisting another's knuckles. "I got him, right?"