[24] It's Over When it's Over

The door to YN's bedroom creaked open softly, but YN never removed her gaze from the roof, her eyes stinging from the lack of sleep she'd had in... maybe weeks. Bucky sighed as he noticed her spaced out state, his hands coming to rest on his hips.

"Did you talk to him?" YN croaked, still not moving to look at the brunette. "Did you talk to Sam?"

"You could say that." Bucky murmured, sitting himself on the edge of her bed. "How are you feeling?" Finally, YN's eyes met Bucky's, her expression blank and distant, as it had been since they'd made it back to New York.

"Are you going to find Zemo?" YN whispered, gripping the covers of her bed. "Are you gonna take care of it?" Bucky sighed, his hands coming together to clasp in his lap.

"I'm gonna try and find him, yeah." Bucky licked his lips as he tilted his head back. "Will you be okay here?" YN's lips pressed together to repress a cry as Bucky kept his gaze forward, knowing if he concentrated hard enough, he could hear YN's heart breaking in her chest.

"I'll be fine," YN rasped out, turning her back on Bucky and facing the other wall. "You go do what you gotta do."

The door closed silently, and YN waited with her eyes closed to hear the door to the apartment shut as well before she let out a choked cry, her hand fumbling under her pillow to find the crumpled photo there, along with the compass Steve had left to her.

Another cry ripped from her as she pulled them to her chest, as if she'd be able to feel Steve's presence through them, smell him again, sense him again. "Why?" She sobbed harshly, her throat cracking with the force of it. "Why did you leave me alone?"

A few days later...

Sam smiled as a truck pulled up on the dock, a bed full of parts in tow. "Tommy, Carlos, man this is amazing!" Sam exclaimed, genuinely overwhelmed with gratitude as he met Sarah's eye over the roof. "Thank y'all so much."

"Hey, look, word goes out the Wilson family needs help?" Carlos chuckled, smacking Sam on the shoulder and giving him a look. "Now, how do we get it off the truck?"

Suddenly, as if by magic, the crate of parts lifted from the back of the truck and were placed on the ground, the manly grunt making Sam hide a smile. Sam sighed, cocking his head with his hands on his hips.

"You're welcome." Bucky smirked, holding a case that he sat on the now empty truck bed. "Just dropping these off, you can sign for them and I'll go." Sam frowned at the case before giving Bucky a confused look. "Called in a favor from the Wakandans."

Before Sam could respond, a pipe on the boat behind them erupted as the join burst, sending steam into the air in front of it. "Sam!" Sarah shouted, staring at the commotion in annoyance.

Sam jumped from the dock onto the deck of the boat, grabbing a lone wrench as he went. Attaching in to the pipe, he grunted as he used all of his strength to pull it down and close the split join. Bucky was soon at his side, replacing Sam's hands with his own. "Hold on, hold on." He muttered, pushing up with his flesh arm. "You gotta go up."

The steam shut off quickly and Sam shook his head in disbelief. "Thanks." He muttered. "But, uh, why didn't you use the metal arm."

Bucky's mouth opened to speak but he frowned, holding the metal appendage out in front of him. "I don't, uh, always think of it immediately," he muttered. "I'm right handed." He shrugged. Sam chuckled, leaning against the side of the boat with a sigh, crossing his arms over his chest. "So this is the boat, huh?"

"This is it." Sam nodded.

"You want any help?" Bucky asked quietly, as if in place of what he truly wanted to say. Sam thought that this was Bucky's way of apologizing... maybe.