[27] Born To Lead

"Feels like we're sitting on a ticking time bomb, doesn't it?" YN murmured as she passed a plate to Bucky, barely looking up from the suds that swallowed her hands. All she got in return was a grunt of acknowledgement, which finally made her sigh, leaning back from the sink. "I feel bad for her, Buck."

"Who? Karli?" YN nodded, pulling the plug to watch the water swirl down the drain. Bucky hummed as he finished putting the remaining dishes away. "I don't know if she can be swayed."

"Yeah," YN sighed. "The only good thing that came from those five years, were seeing so many people finally find themselves, working jobs they never thought possible, owning houses and being able to really come together to help one another." Bucky nodded, leaning against the counter and crossing his arms. "Losing half of the planet was... the most traumatic experience a lot of people had ever gone through, but Karli has a point."

"You think her ends justify her means?" Bucky frowned, his tone riddled with disbelief.

"No," YN scoffed. "God no. All I'm saying is, this government tossed these 'refugees'" YN lifted her hands to wrap the word in quotations. "To the side when you all came back, as if these people weren't helping us survive for those five years." YN shook her head, looking down to her hands. "Why do we deserve all of this," YN waved her hands around, motioning toward the roof and the food they'd covered in foil just moments ago. "But they don't? It doesn't make sense."

Bucky sighed, standing straight and moving to place his hands on YN's shoulders. "I know that tone," he chastised. "You're blaming yourself for something that you have zero control over."

"Bucky," YN hissed, looking around the room. "We're supposed to be dead, or at least rotting in a retirement home, yet we're here, eating homemade food, and sleeping under a warm roof. We don't belong here, who are we to tell this kid that she can't fight for her place in that system-"

"Stop," Bucky growled. "You can't control what has happened to you. We can't control what got us here. Karli leads a good fight, we know that, but she is blinded by her anger, and innocent people are getting hurt because of it. That's what we're fighting for, for the safety of those innocent people."

YN grumbled under her breath, looking to her feet to avoid Bucky's gaze. "I guess your right," she mumbled. "I just hate this feeling inside me that this isn't going to end the way we want it to."

"How do you picture this ending, as a best-case scenario?" Bucky questioned, raising an eyebrow.

"Karli arrested and unharmed, our conscience clean of blood from a nineteen-year-old girl." Bucky nodded, squeezing YN's shoulder before stepping away. "You think there is any possibility it'll happen like that?"

"With Sam leading us?" Bucky sent YN a small smile. "I'll be damned if he doesn't try his hardest."

---------------------------------

YN sat in front of the television with a deep frown, the senators voice grating her nerves with every ignorant sentence he strung together. Sam, Sarah and Bucky were also watching with tense expressions, each of them concerned as to what may happen if the bill they were pushing for passed.

Sam's phone rang, making YN look over to where he was sitting close to her on the loveseat. "Torres?" YN whispered. Sam nodded and got to his feet, walking away so that he could hear over the T.V.

After a short conversation, he returned with a pinched expression, his eyes darting from his phone back to where the senator was still speaking. "Sam?" Bucky called, quickly smiling at Sarah as she moved her feet, that were resting in Bucky's lap. "You good, pal?"

"It's New York," he murmured, releasing a deep sigh. "She's going for the GRC."

YN swallowed as she quickly got to her feet, her eyes wide. "Tonight?" Sam nodded, leaving the room as YN looked to Bucky in alarm. "Shit." She muttered, racing after him and toward his room where she had stashed her weapons and tactile suit.

Sam was sitting on the edge of his bed, glaring at his closet when she entered, her mouth ready to ask if he was okay. "Don't ask if I'm okay." He stopped her, swallowing harshly. "Because I don't want to lie to you." YN nodded, pursing her lips as her fingers fiddled in front of her. Sam clenched his fists in his lap, his shoulders tensing as YN stepped closer.

"You want me to help you?" YN whispered, running a hand over Sam's head as he lifted it to look her in the eye. Nodding, he gestured to the closet he'd been glaring at, making YN walk over and collect the case that sat alone on the ground.

Once she'd arranged the suit onto the bed, she looked over to where Sam stood, thoughtfully looking at the bright colors that the sun was illuminating. His eyebrows were pulled down over his eyes, his arms crossed tightly over his chest, as if he was reluctant to even move closer toward the suit, and what putting it on would mean.

YN took slow steps toward his, placing her hand gently on his forearm. Dragging it up to Sam's cheek, she pulled his attention to her, immediately noticing the softening of his features, and his fists unclenching. "It's okay to be nervous." YN whispered, lifting onto her toes and pressing a kiss to the corner of Sam's mouth. "It's okay."

Sam nodded, finally sighing and removing his shirt, walking closer to the bed as YN watched the muscles of his back ripple with every step. He lifted the suit carefully in front of him, his eyes dancing over the red, white and blue fabric. He swallowed as he started to put it on, avoiding looking over to where YN was quietly standing and watching.

Finally, once the suit was on and the goggles were in his hand, he turned to meet her gaze, shocked at the watery eyes that stared back at him. Sam bit his lip, worried that seeing him dressed like this had been too much for YN at once. Opening his mouth to apologize, YN grinned, the smile so big it filled her cheeks and showed off her perfectly white teeth.

Sam felt his entire chest lighten at the sight, his shoulders sagging as he released a relieved sigh. YN stepped closer and cupped Sam's cheek in her hand, still smiling brightly. "It suits you," she murmured, her eyes twinkling as they stared into Sam's. "As if you were born to wear it."

Sam chuckled, leaning over to capture YN's mouth in a short kiss. "You always know just what to say to make my heart beat faster." He whispered, resting his forehead against hers. "And I'm sorry we haven't had much time-"

"We have all the time in the world, Sam." YN stopped him, pressing yet another kiss to his mouth. "But we have a job to do." YN stepped back, lifting her own shirt over her head. "Plus, we both have a new suit to debut."

"We do?" YN nodded as she lifted her own case up, the silver lining looking very similar to the case Sam had just deposited back into his wardrobe. YN slipped the black material up and over her figure, the leather molding to her curves as if it were a second skin. Sam swallowed as she zipped the front up, the zipper ending right under her throat. "Damn," Sam chuckled, gripping YN's hips from behind as she slipped her batons into her holster and a knife into her boot. "Don't think I will get a single recognition whilst you look like that."

YN felt her face heat as Sam pressed up against her back, his hip rolling down over the curve of her ass. "If we weren't teetering on the edge of a terrorist attack," YN whispered, turning in his grasp and fluttering her lashes at him. "I'd give you all the attention you needed, baby." Sam groaned as he lowered his lips onto YN's, letting his tongue dancing with hers until there was a knock on the door.

"We leave in 10!" Bucky called, making YN pull back with a small grin. "Stop smacking lips and hurry it up."

"Let's get this done." YN whispered, winking up at Sam.

"Let's."  

yes I ship Bucky with Sarah :) BUT I hear a rumor that it could be Sharon??? IDK how true that is... but I AM HERE FOR IT HELLO SHE IS SO HOT

yet I do think Bucky doesn't REALLY need a love interest... like I get it, it's a part of the cinematic experience that leads 95% of the time have a LI but... Sambucky friendship/relationship is enough for me...