Help

Earlier Friday 4:30 pm

My phone rang as I stepped out the shower and I answered, assuming it was Bailey, "What's up Be—"

"Son, I need your help with somethin. Can you come over here?" My mother spoke softly through the line, catching me off guard.

Biting my tongue trying not to curse, I answer, "Yeah, I'll swing through in a few ma, I have—"

"I need you to come now! This can't wait," she interrupted, raising her voice a little.

What the fuck is she on?

It's always something with this woman.
I sucked my teeth and checked the time on my phone before responding. I can help her and get back in time for dinner with Bebe and Ms. Nette. "I'll be there in a minute." I hang up before she can say anything else. "Fuck!" I grumble, slapping my hand to my forehead.

Fifteen minutes later I'm dressed and out the door.

I pull up to the hood and see there ain't much movement outside, which is unusual for Friday afternoon.

The fuck goin on?

I make my way upstairs, passing a few niggas here and there, but nobody I fuck wit, so I nod and keep it movin.

I knock on the door and Gino opens up.
"Sup Key, what you need?"

"Your woman call—"

"Keyaun, hey baby." My mother cuts in before I can finish my sentence.

That shit irks my nerves.

Gino and I both look at her. He looks just as confused as I am as I walk inside. "It's Friday night," He starts. "No plans with that pretty young thang of yours."

"Yeah, I'm supposed to be having dinner with her and her mother, so..." I look at my mother. "Can we make this quick ma.. what you need?"

"You're having dinner with her and her mother?" My mom repeats, seeming hurt. "You don't think y'all moving a little fast?"

I shake my head, "It ain't just some random girl, ma."

"She's kinda young ain't she?"

"She's seventeen." I state, "I thought you needed help with somethin?"

"I'm not trying to pry son, I just don't want you to get caught up in some lil fast ass girl. Y'all sleeping together?"

"I'm not answerin that." I look to Gino, "What is she on right now?"

Gino shook his head slowly, "I didn't even know she called you over here, we're supposed to be on our way to dinner. Right, Diane?"

"Right." She hesitated. "I called you over because I need you to take somethin over to my sister." She explained as she walked into the kitchen, her heels clicking on the floor with every step. She opened a drawer and pulled out a yellow envelope and handed it to me. "Make sure she gets this, tonight."

"Why didn't you just bring it over?" I asked, looking at the blank envelope.

She smiled, "Because me and Gino are going to dinner."

"Aight, y'all have fun," I said walking out the kitchen. "Night Gino," I said before walking to the door.

"Goodnight Key."

Once downstairs, I saw the homie Ced walking up. "What up Nigga. Where everybody at?"

"Skating rink. You tryna pull up?"

"Nah, I got plans with my shorty, but you and Stone can take my car and go if y'all want."

"Oh fasho, let me go grab my shit."

•••

"Jah, my mama told me to give you this." I handed her the envelope.

She squinted at it then pulled her glasses out of her purse on the table, "The hell is this?"

I shrugged, before walking out the kitchen, "I don't know."

"Ced outside, you tryna hit the skating rink with him?" I asked Eric who was in my bedroom playing 2k on the PlayStation.

He sat quiet for a second before answering, "You comin?" He set the controller down.

"Nah. I'm gon be next door." I told him as I went to text Bebe. "Shit." I cursed seeing my phone was dead. I plugged it in and went in the bathroom to brush my teeth and put on cologne.

"Nah, ion feel like dealin with that nigga and his bullshit." He said as I walked out the bathroom.

I shrugged and walked out the room. On my way downstairs, I heard sniffing. I followed the sound into the kitchen to see my aunt sitting at the table crying.

"What's wrong, Jah Jah?"

"Yo mama's taking me to court to make me sell this house." She sobbed.

"What you mean?" I asked. "I thought GG left you this house."

"Me and Diane both inherited the house, but she said she didn't care about this place. Now she's tryna have a judge force a sale so we have to split it down the middle unless I buy her out."

"Damn."

"And she had you serve me the damn papers."