05. The Lord Returns

In the following days, Lark focused studiously on her embroidery and reading. Though she occasionally socialized with the rest of the harem, she hadn't yet befriended them. They seemed more interested in each other and their own hobbies and duties than in getting to know her. She had transformed the bird in her embroidery into a raven, and the dark form looked out of place surrounded by pastel flowers. She had read all of the assigned sonnets and had moved on to a novel. But she was truly just biding her time. Her master had still not returned and it was lulling her into a false sense of security. She had been permitted access to the library, and the shelves of books in the hall. On one visit she had been able to smuggle a book of maps to her room. She had spent days carefully recreating the map of the local area to aid in her future escape. She kept it tucked behind a painting beside her bed out of sight and hunted for a map of the castle in her free time. Once she had a copy she could move to the next stage of her plan. As of now she had little idea of the castle's layout, as many of the buildings and wings were still off-limits to her. Ariane insisted that she would gain privileges with time, but Lark was impatient. She wanted to be free.

It was a breezy, cool evening when the master finally returned with his entourage of carriages. Accompanied by some of his associates, many of them lesser nobles, they whipped the castle into a frenzy to prepare guest suites and lavish meals. Some of the pets were given extra meals as well, to strengthen them for the possibility of being fed on. Most nobles traveled with their own pets, but it was not always possible. As the harem was reserved for the lord's personal use, they were exempt and asked to prepare to accompany him to dinner.

The girls washed themselves in the pool, styled their hair, wore their finest garments, and perfumed their bodies. The older women draped themselves in jewelry and fussed as the rest fiddled with their makeup and practiced songs. The group was a sight to behold, still flushed from soaking in the steaming pool and resplendent in their fine gowns, as they entered the great hall that night. The long table was already set with gleaming golden tableware and candles lit the room romantically. Flowers decorated every available surface and incense burned in a cauldron in each corner of the room. The lord and his nobles were already seated. Some had pets sitting at their sides or at their feet. Most appeared contended but some were obviously distressed. All wore fine gowns or suits but it was clear that some were treated more humanely than others. Lark shuddered as she noticed them. They made the idyllic scene seem much more threatening.

She tried to avoid laying eyes on her master before being introduced but his presence was unavoidable. Despite her fear she could see he was handsome. His black hair was wavy and longer than was fashionable, tied at his nape with a ribbon. His dramatic bone structure and pale skin made him appear almost like a sculpture, and many of the females in the room openly admired him as he spoke to his confidant, an older vampire named William. His voice was pleasant and deep, carrying through the hall despite the idle chatter overlapping it. Though Lark was nervous, she was also put at ease by his demeanor. He seemed relaxed and in good spirits.

He raised his eyes as the harem entered and Lark looked away, knowing he would likely be searching for her in the group. As they approached, she caught his gaze for a moment. His eyes seemed black and empty from across the room and her face reddened as she could feel his gaze intently following her. Each woman curtsied neatly in front of him before taking their place at the table. Lark followed their example, but as she turned to find her seat, her master paused his conversation and gently gripped her wrist. Her heart skipped and she stopped, still unwilling to look at his face. Her heart raced as panic filled her chest and she knew he could feel her pulse as he held her still.

"Lark," he said softly. She nodded silently, unsure of how to behave. But to her surprise he released her. "It is a privilege to finally meet you," he said. She was tempted to look at him, attempting to conceal the surprised look on her face. He sounded sincere.

"It is my duty, my lord," she responded haltingly. He bowed his head and she hurried away to her seat where she was greeted by Ariane. She tried to eat as the courses arrived but was distracted by the attention of the lord as he studied her from his seat. One of the noble vampires drank from his pet at the table, disturbing her further. The male pet seemed unperturbed by the interruption of his meal and even smiled at his master afterwards before turning to speak with Vayn. But it felt like an intimate moment and Lark was unsure of how to react. So she looked down at her plate, struggling to cover her unease with casual body language. Ariane was not fooled and it seemed the lord was not fooled either as his attention seemed even more intense. As Lark felt her discomfort overwhelm her, the dinner was finally ended. The harem left first, returning to the hall. Ariane laughed softly as Lark took a breath to steady herself.

"That went well," she teased. "You didn't faint." Lark rolled her eyes in response but Ariane was unbothered. "Lord August is a kind master. You need to relax."

"I am trying to relax," Lark retorted. "But I felt like a specimen being studied. It was unsettling." Ariane scoffed.

"You did just get here," she argued. "He is allowed to look. You're his property." Lark shuddered but Ariane continued. "Be happy that he does not abuse us. We barely see him anymore. Not since Ora died." She paused as if she had accidentally revealed a secret. Lark was quick to question her.

"Ora?" she asked. "Who is Ora?" Ariane sighed.

"We aren't supposed to talk about her. It upsets the master. She was his favorite pet for many years. She died two years ago. He was distraught. He disappeared for weeks and when he came back he was different. More distant. He had only fed on her for so long that we had to coax him to feed from us." She shook her head sadly. "We miss her. She was the matron before Madame Fawst. And much nicer."

Lark didn't know what to say. It was unexpected that he had ever been loyal to a pet or cherished her so much. Few vampires allowed themselves deep emotional attachments to their pets. Humans were so fragile and aged so quickly. It was always a union doomed to fail.

"What happened to her?" Lark blurted out. She regretted it almost immediately as Ariane became even more forlorn.

"She died in childbirth," she said softly. Lark's eyes widened in shock but she didn't dare to press the issue. Whose baby had she carried if the master loved her so dearly? She said goodbye to Ariane and ducked into the alcove of bookshelves in the hall. She had already looked through the collection more than once. But this time she noticed a book that she did not recognize. It was a dusty and battered little book with a black cover. She grabbed it and flipped to the title page. Her chest tightened as she read it. A History of Ferin Castle. Delighted, she rushed to her room and flipped quickly through the pages. To her amazement she found what she had been seeking. A map of the castle that had become her cage. Intrigued, she read some of the excerpts and found that Lord August had been the owner of this castle for many centuries. He must be older than she had conceived, at least four hundred years.

This was the missing piece she had been seeking for her escape. She would need to spend the following day gathering supplies and choosing her route to safety. She groaned, knowing the wait would be agonizing. But she couldn't rush. This was too important. She copied the map neatly on a piece of parchment and folded it up, hiding it behind the frame with her other map. It was almost time. Filled with excitement and anxiety, she sneakily put the book back on the shelf and climbed into bed. As she pulled the blanket over her body her mind raced with the possibilities laid out before her. By this time tomorrow she might be a free woman. She fell into a fitful sleep plagued by nightmares, unable to ignore everything that could go wrong.