12. Dinner

Lark had enjoyed several days of peace. She focused on her work and tried to keep herself distracted from memories of August's kiss. In quiet moments she could still feel his lips on her wrist. She tried to forget his promise to write to her and spent extra time with her students. Their embroidery had improved greatly and her employers were pleased. Despite her success she felt dissatisfied, as if something was missing. She was not furthering her education away from the castle and this weighed heavily on her. She had sold much of her former finery and only retained two gowns and her treasured necklace. Her life in the castle was slowly slipping away. But as she tried to move on, she finally received a letter from August.

Lark,

I hope you are well. You fill my thoughts. Are you happy in your current position? I have heard your employers are respectable.

August

Lark was touched by the message. She wrote him a reply immediately.

My Lord,

I am quite well and very satisfied. Of course there is no comparison to the diversions of your castle. My students are clever and well-behaved and I am well treated. I have no reason to complain. I appreciate your interest.

Lark

She sent her letter with a stable boy and faced the uncertainty in her mind. She could no longer avoid the nagging feeling that she may be wasting her life in the village. The possibility of her finding a husband among the townspeople was slim, and she was naturally independent. Her disinterest in raising children and doing housework for the rest of her life would make her an unhappy woman in any domestic arrangement. She had nothing to learn here and admittedly very little freedom. She had craved it so badly, only to face the realization that a woman of her status would struggle just to live comfortably. Money for travel was uncertain if not impossible. Rogue vampires made it dangerous to travel alone, and she knew it was likely that if she continued to work well in this family, she would likely die in their employment. She could see the bleak possibility of her future. When her employers died and left their property to their children, they would likely support her until her death in the small room where she now slept.

She looked around wearily. The only beautiful thing in the room was her own embroidery. The caged raven seemed to mock her. She was free yet more trapped than ever. It hung low over her as she tried to complete her daily tasks, assisting with meals and entertaining the girls before sending them to bed. It was like a dark cloud filling her head with questions and doubts. She dragged herself into bed that night, uneasy and unhappy. Was it possible for her to go back to the castle? Would she be sealing her fate as a pet and commodity? Or would she be taking control of her own destiny?

She knew that if she went back it would be nearly impossible to leave safely again. She was still the lord's property, and would already struggle to regain the trust of the harem and its matron. The politics of the castle could not be ignored. But she would have her room back, filled with beautiful garments and decorations, a space that belonged to her alone. She would never be hungry or neglected, and could have an education she could never dream of otherwise. And August would be happy to see her. This thought brought her a feeling of quiet satisfaction. He had always been gentle and polite, showing an interest in her as an individual. It was possible she could be happy at his side, even as a pet. She was plagued by nightmares, her anxiety manifesting in dark shadows chasing her through a forest on fire. But when she awoke, her fear was soothed by a letter left on her small table. It was August's reply.

Lark,

I am relieved to hear you are adjusting well. I would like to extend an invitation to dine with me this evening. I have some questions for you unfit for this letter. I give my word that you shall return safely to your home. I hope to see you just after dark.