07. A Plan Revealed

She woke early the next day and ate her breakfast before the rest of the harem was awake. Smuggling some food back to her room, she concealed it in a large cloth bag in her wardrobe along with her maps. She had traced a path to take to the next village and out of the territory. The lord was likely to pursue her now that she had been living in his care. The next village would not be safe for long, even if she was well hidden. And she could not rely on the hospitality of strangers.

She attended her lessons dutifully as if nothing was amiss, working earnestly to memorize a long list of local nobles. Her embroidery was complete, so she had been permitted by Madame Fawst to go to the village. On this occasion the harem was not dressed in their finer garments, but wore simple cotton dresses with woven sashes. They carried baskets or bags with them, much to Lark's delight. She had pulled her bag from the wardrobe, carefully concealing that it was packed with food, her maps, and some of her other belongings. She wrapped her cloak around her shoulders and stepped out into the hall to ask when the group would leave. But the other women were nowhere to be found.

She searched their rooms for them, but they were empty. Passing through the courtyard, she found them relaxing among the flowers. She waved to Ariane, who waved back.

"Are we still going to the village?" Lark asked, trying to keep her desperation concealed. Ariane nodded.

"We were delayed but we will leave soon," she replied lazily, shielding her eyes from the sun with her hand. Lark calmed herself and joined the women in the soft grass, relishing the warmth of the sun. She had not been able to truly relax since she'd arrived at the castle. But for a moment she felt some of her unease slip away. She felt safe surrounded by the harem. She still hadn't become close with them, but they all seemed determined to create a life of happiness and productivity for themselves. All beautiful and well-versed in many subjects, it was tempting to become lost in the harem. So many comforts Lark had never experienced were now laid at her feet. She felt a small rush of doubt at the prospect of escape but quelled it instantly. She didn't want anything to distract her from her goal. While she repeated her escape plan on her head, the other women noticed Madame Fawst crossing the courtyard at alarming speed.

She stopped suddenly at Lark's feet, her face twisted into a grimace of disappointment. Lark opened her eyes and was clearly shaken by the matron's venomous gaze.

"The lord has summoned you to the library," she announced, her words dripping with annoyance. "Come at once."

Lark rose to her feet as the harem exchanged glances of curiosity. She followed the matron as the older woman hurried back into the castle and down a concealed stone staircase off of the main hall. In the dark tunnel there were several heavy doors on either side and the only light was a row of lit torches along the wall.

Dread began to build in Lark's chest. She had never seen this part of the castle, and the doors were clearly locked tight. No sound could be heard but the clicking of the matron's shoes. Her instinct told her to run. But instead she followed, knowing there was no place to hide from whatever was coming. The matron stopped outside of a door at the end of the tunnel, pulling a large key from her pocket to unlock it. The lock opened with a loud click and the door swung open, revealing a surprisingly attractive room. It was not unlike her bedroom in the harem, though it was considerably smaller. However, a familiar object lay on the bed.

It was her bag. Its contents had been spread over the blanket and the maps sat neatly folded on top of the pile. The matron led Lark inside and held one of the maps up to her nose aggressively.

"What is this?" she demanded. Her fury was obvious and Lark didn't dare speak and reveal the truth. But the matron wasn't easily dissuaded. After nearly an hour of questioning, she could bear Lark's silence no longer.