23. Feeding

Lady Ferra swept her skirts behind her as she stepped into the moonlight. Her presence was strange and alluring and Vayn felt compelled to stay rather than flee back into the shadows. She had not spent much time around the Lady, only stealing a few words at a time when Ferra came to the harem to feed. She had a seductive but proud demeanour that kept the women at a distance. She seemed ancient and untouchable and had never sought any of the harem out personally. Vayn could smell an opportunity. But she knew this would be a dangerous manipulation. If Lady Ferra suspected she was being deceived she had the power to unleash great suffering on anyone who would dare to disrespect her. Vayn knew she would have to be careful. She concealed her blade with her cloak before it could be seen and raised a hand to her face. As she slipped the knife silently into her boot her expression crumpled.

"I am troubled by my heart," Vayn sighed. She rose to her feet and took a few steps forward but her body seemed to wilt. Ferra gestured towards the castle with the closed fan she held.

"Would you not consult your sisters?" Ferra inquired.

"They would not understand," Vayn whispered. Ferra looked her over curiously.

"What would they not understand, child? They are your family, are they not?" Vayn's eyes seemed to flash in the dark.

"They are my rivals," she hissed. Lady Ferra smiled gently but her eyes were intense. She snapped her elaborate fan open and Vayn jumped at the unexpected sound. Though Ferra flashed it up over her face before her expression could be seen, Vayn guessed she was smiling behind it.

"I agree," Ferra replied. She sank down onto a marble bench and invited Vayn to join her. "But you must have some love for them."

"For some of them," Vayn admitted, sitting beside her.

"So if you cannot talk to them, tell me what is troubling you."

"I compete with the other pets to become Favored," Vayn stated. "I have spent my years here trying to become close to the Lord. I have offered my loyalty and my affection. I have grown to love him. But there are many obstacles." Though Vayn seemed distressed she had never felt real love for August. Her motivation was power and wealth, not the affections of a man. But her act was convincing.

"Love is different for immortals," Lady Ferra responded. "They do not love easily, least of all fragile humans. Your lives are frenzied and short. Your obstacle is your humanity, not your peers." Vayn seemed troubled by this realization.

"And yet some pets are close to the Lord," Vayn argued. She did not say Lark's name but the implication was clear.

"And yet they are still only a pet. A plaything for only one lifetime. And the Lord's tastes could change."

"What can I do to win his favor?" Vayn asked boldly. Lady Ferra shook her head.

"That you want it so badly may be your undoing. He is mild and calm. He values your drive and passion but does not seem to seek it out. If you can be patient he may come to you when you least expect it." She smiled from behind her fan and Vayn was sure there was some hidden meaning behind it. Her confidence grew.

"Is there any way to dethrone her?" she asked.

"Only through force of will, " Ferrela stated firmly. "Any action taken will be swiftly investigated. It would be unwise to risk your current position. A Favored pet is a prized possession. You could not afford the price of damaging one."

Vayn sat in silence overwhelmed by her own frustration. But Ferra's attitude was unchanged. Her voice was still light, airy, and haunting.

"She would have to leave of her own volition," she said softly. She fluttered her fan lazily and leaned back on the bench. But her words had clearly had an impact.