16. New Tutor

The following days were tense and stressful for both Lark and August. August had left to meet William and his troops on the border of Hygate. He had received an alarming letter from his friend and left in a hurry, leaving Lark a note to tell her he would return soon. Lark had been focused on her lessons but they proved to be difficult. Madame Fawst was harsh and demanding with no mercy for any mistakes. Lark had been forced to rip out many lines of embroidery on more than one occasion for one small misplaced stitch. Her fingers were tender from her frantic stitching and jabbing herself with her needle. She was able to mask her discomfort and the matron was infuriated by her calm demeanor. She didn't dare confront Lark for abandoning her position but she made no attempt to cover her contempt. Lark returned to her chamber emotionally bruised.

King was a comforting companion but her loneliness was acute. She refused to regret her decision to return but she wished she had someone to talk to. She didn't want to make Ariane a target by reaching out to her. She had visited her once in the courtyard and they had a small picnic hidden away behind a bastion wall. Ariane had avoided discussing the rest of the harem even when coaxed with wine so Lark was forced to draw her own conclusions. Vayn had made no attempt to approach her in the common areas of the castle. In fact the older woman was avoiding her. When Lark entered a room Vayn usually left only moments later. She waited just long enough to be polite but it was obvious to the entire harem and the guards as well. This behavior was not what Lark had expected. It made her far more anxious than outright hostility. Vayn could be making an effort to distance herself from Lark so she could attack without being suspected. Lark watched her carefully.

It was on the third night of August's absence that Lark's new tutor arrived. They arrived as Lark prepared for bed and she would meet them the following evening. Bernard would be present to introduce them and Lark could already feel her stress melting away. Madame Fawst's cruel treatment would soon be only a memory. When she woke the next day she expected to meet them immediately for morning lessons but Bernard informed her that her schedule would be pushed back by a few hours and she would meet the matron's replacement right after dinner.

"Can you tell me about them?" Lark asked Bernard eagerly. He was charmed by her innocent curiosity and nodded.

"Your tutor is the Lady Ferra. She is the Lady of the Eastern kingdom of Maldove."

"A Lady is to be my tutor? Certainly she had other responsibilities."

"She has known August for over a century. They are close friends and I believe she owed him a favor. She and her husband have a marriage of convenience. It is possible she had ulterior motives." Bernard gave her a pointed look and Lark felt her stomach drop. Bernard rarely spoke so openly. She suspected he was trying to protect her from disappointment. There was an existing connection between Ferra and August. It was possible that Ferra would join the campaign to get rid of Lark if she discovered that August was showing her favoritism. Lark tried to stay calm. Lady Ferra was already married so she was not free to be with August. Perhaps she had pure intentions. Only time would tell.

Lark's lessons with Bernard dragged on longer than usual. She was both excited and anxious to meet the vampiress who had agreed to tutor her and found herself unable to focus. When Bernard brought her dinner she swallowed it quickly without tasting a bite. At last the sun began to dip below the horizon. As darkness fell over the castle, Bernard finally led Lark to the courtyard where Lady Ferra was waiting under a blanket of stars.

The noblewoman was resplendent in a dark velvet gown and an ornate hood that gave her an imposing silhouette. It was a very dated style but she looked like an ornate Tudor painting even in the dark. Many vampiresses maintained clothing styles from their mortal life to give themselves an otherworldly or timeless presence. This was true in the case of Ferra who seemed more like a ghost than a vampire. Her hair was tucked into a bun and was hardly visible beneath the structured hood she wore with its long black veil. Her dark eyes seemed to cut through the deep blue dusk. She watched Lark closely as she dipped into a respectful curtsy. She nodded in approval.