15. Favored

When morning had washed over the forest and bathed the entire castle in golden light Lark finally woke up from her deep sleep. For a moment she felt a surge of fear as she didn't recognize her surroundings. But she quickly realized she was in August's chamber. He had heard her heart jump and looked up from his book but she lay still. She had emerged from a blissful dream and desperately tried to remember it as the sleepy fog in her brain slowly lifted. August laid his book down so she would hear the pages snap together and realize he was present in the room.

Lark sat up slowly and pulled the blanket around herself. She blinked blearily in August's direction, seeking him out in the dark room. He was enchanted by her soft expression as she rubbed her eyes and smiled at him dreamily.

"My lord," she whispered. "I apologize for my impudence. I was so tired."

August laughed and shook his head.

"There is no need to apologize, Lark. You are human. Humans sleep at night." She nodded and tried to stifle a yawn. She was unwilling to get up from the bed. It was very comfortable and the blanket was warm. She was tempted to lay back and let sleep claim her again but she knew her lesson with Bernard was approaching. She joined August on the couch swaddled in the large blanket.

"Are you cold?" he asked. She pouted at him and tucked up her feet.

"A little."

"Do you have plans for today?"

"Only lessons," she replied. She had been looking forward to furthering her education but now she found herself not wanting to leave August's dark wing. It felt safe and secret. She knew there was a risk for conflict if she met any of the harem. Ariane had seemed happy to see her but Vayn had the most power as the eldest in the harem. She hadn't bonded with Fae or Rose and they were likely to join her in a campaign to have Lark removed. All of the harem had aspirations to take the position Ora had vacated when she died. Many more privileged humans hoped to be their master's primary pet. This high status position often ensured that the humans would be safe and live in luxury for their entire lives. They would have the opportunity to travel, recieve an education, and would be granted generous allowances. It was an enviable lifestyle. Humans and vampires alike referred to them as the Favored. It was rumored that some Favored had even become vampires. Some humans were willing to deceive, maim, or even kill to gain these coveted positions. Lark wondered if Vayn was ruthless enough to try and force her out or get rid of her permanently. Her anxiety was obvious but August misread her.

"I'm sure your lessons will go well. Bernard says you are an excellent student. And you are still taking your lessons privately. You will be proficient soon."

Lark forced a smile and unwrapped herself from the blanket.

"I should change, my lord," she murmured. August nodded her and escorted her through the feeding chamber into her own room.

"Have a pleasant morning," he whispered. He lifted her wrist to his lips and kissed it.

"Sleep well," she replied. August smiled and drew back into his chambers, locking the doors behind him.

Lark dressed for her lessons and scrubbed her hands and face before exiting her room. She found a guard waiting at the door but he did not escort her down the dark hall of the unfamiliar wing. She found her way by memory, tracing her steps back to the main hall. Bernard was waiting for her there.

He led her to his office where they reviewed her previous lessons. Her memory served her well so they soon moved forward to new topics. They spent the morning discussing August's reign over his territory. He had held it since the pandemic ended though it had grown substantially and for most of its history it had been prosperous and peaceful. August's preference to avoid court life and maintain a strong but understated military had served the kingdom well. His human subjects were among the happiest on the continent and continued to produce offspring.

His very few Favored pets were mentioned in passing with few details. Most seem to have retired and died naturally in comfort and happiness. None had been recorded as being turned by August. He had always valued human life and mortality. There was no record of him turning any humans to his kind. He had never taken a wife despite this weakening his kingdom. A united pair was always more respected and feared than a lone ruler. However, he had participated in a few small skirmishes and battles and these victories had solidified his power. There was still pressure on him to marry but it had lessened greatly. There were very few suitable matches in the surrounding territories and his reclusive lifestyle made him an unattractive proposition despite the success of his kingdom. Any vampiress to marry a lord would be expected to maintain a court and socialize with other local ladies. August's distaste for court politics would make this difficult and his Lady's reputation would suffer.

Lark and Bernard had spent much of the day on this topic. She was not invited to the courtyard for her usual lesson with Madame Fawst and wondered if this was intentional. She could only imagine how the matron would treat her following her return. Any small amount of kindness or patience she had enjoyed previously would undoubtedly be taken away. Madame Fawst had already been a rather cold and strict instructor before her departure. Lark would now receive no mercy for small mistakes or tardiness. Bernard seemed to notice her anxiety and addressed the issue.

"You will not be having a lesson with Madame today," he clarified. "She is away. Our lord is seeking a new instructor for you but your lessons will continue with her until a suitable replacement can be found. She will return tomorrow."

"Thank you, Bernard."

Lark was curious to know where they would find a new tutor for her. She felt a sense of relief at the news but knew that there were not very many highly educated humans available for positions like Madame Fawst's. It might be some time before they could find someone to take her place. She would have to be vigilant and keep to herself.

Bernard escorted her back to her chamber for her to rest and eat her dinner. It had been laid out on the table but she found she didn't have much of an appetite. She would have to settle back into the rhythm of castle life before she could feel comfortable again. The sun was setting as she stepped into her small courtyard. King was waiting for her. As she greeted him he fluffed his feathers excitedly and bowed his head to ask for a scratch. She ruffled his head feathers.

"What do I do, King?" she whispered. "How do I belong here?" He hopped onto her lap and his small black eyes studied her carefully. He was an intelligent bird and seemed to respond to her emotions. Sensing her distress, he gripped her fingers gently in his beak and tried to preen her long hair. But night fell quickly and he soon disappeared into the darkening sky to find his roost. He had connected with the local flock after being rehabilitated and still slept alongside them every night in the forest surrounding the castle. Lark stood to enter her chamber but a glint in the grass caught her attention. It was a small silver cross, a necklace with a missing chain. She turned it slowly over in her hands, admiring the fine metalwork. It was a delicate piece of jewelry with filigree twisting around an ornamental cross inlaid with clear stones. Other than a few small scratches it was in beautiful condition. It was a gift from King that she hadn't seen when he was waiting in the garden. Her heart warmed as she tucked it into her skirt pocket. It needed to be cleaned but would otherwise make a lovely accessory. She would need to find a chain for it. Lark kept all the gifts he brought her in a small jewelry box on her bedside table and stored the cross there. She would try to restore it in the morning. Exhausted, she retreated to her bedroom and changed into her nightgown. As she drifted off to sleep she braced herself for her lessons the following day and tried to dream of August.