32. Unborn

August's features were contorted with fury. He stalked towards Devroe with his body taut and ready to pounce. He was fast, faster than a human, and his movements were fluid and cat-like. He appeared more like a beast. Devroe stumbled backwards, still trying to recover from the blow to his head.

"What is the meaning of this?" August roared. It sounded like a snarl. Devroe took a deep breath and braced himself against the wall. A trickle of black blood flowed from his temple.

"It was her," Devroe gasped desperately. "She deceived me."

Lark stood near the entrance to the feeding chamber. She was disheveled with her gown pulled out of place. Her hair was pulled free from its usual style and hung around her shoulders. But her eyes were like fire. Wrath poured off of her in waves. For a moment she was the most intimidating creature in the room. She darted angrily forward and spat at Devroe's feet.

"You disgusting animal," she screamed. "How dare you. I will destroy you."

August was startled at her outburst but an unsettling smile soon formed on his lips. He had never doubted her but her power was obvious. She may be a pet, a human, but her heart was fierce. The pair turned on Devroe together. He cowered pathetically but would receive no mercy.

"Liar," August laughed, seizing Devroe by his collar. He lifted him easily off the ground and pressed him roughly against the wall where his legs hung limply. He knew he would never be able to fight August and win. He was far younger, far weaker, and far less experienced. He would likely be killed. His only choice was to submit. He said nothing and did not fight but relied on his cowardice to keep him alive. But August had reached his limit. He pulled a dagger from a concealed sheath and pressed it against Devroe's chest. The skin broke and blood poured from the wound but Devroe remained silent. It wasn't until August began to apply pressure that he begged.

"Have mercy," he gurgled. "I submit."

August hesitated. He valued life and did not relish in taking it. Even if it was deserved. He let Devroe fall to the ground as Lark glowered at him. He looked to her and she nodded to indicate she would respect his decision, whatever it was. Devroe winced. His head was swimming. August stepped back as Lark stepped forward. She held a heavy candlestick in her hands. Devroe raised his eyes to hers. She was smiling. But as he tried to focus on her face she lifted the candlestick into the air and brought it swiftly down. It collided with his head with a resounding thump and he fell immediately into unconsciousness.

She took a deep breath as he slumped to the floor and tossed the candlestick away from her. She was shaking and lost her footing but August caught her up in his arms and held her tightly against him. She shuddered and melted into his embrace. A few tears rolled down her face but she quickly settled down, wrapping her arms around his neck.

"Sara," she whispered. "He locked her in a room down the hall. She must be scared."

August nodded and placed her carefully on a settee, smoothing her hair.

"It will be okay. I will go get her. But allow me to contain this monster first," August soothed her. She nodded and watched as he dragged Devroe into the feeding chamber and locked him inside. He went and retrieved Sara who rushed wildly into the room and into Lark's arms.

"I thought you might be dead," she sobbed. "I didn't know what to do."

Lark smiled weakly.

"There was nothing you could have done," she said quietly. "We are only human. I am relieved you are safe."

"Where is he?"

Lark pointed at the feeding chamber door.

"He is unconscious and locked up. There is no need to fear."