10. King

Lark found that her anonymous life in town was surprisingly lonely. She'd spent so much time in the orphanage that most of the village residents had never met her. Her clothing and hairstyle designated her as important and none of them considered that she could be one of them. She had taken an inventory of her clothing and found that she could afford a carriage and protection to the next town but would struggle to establish herself without additional funds. Her necklace was worth a significant amount but she was unwilling to part with it. It seemed like she may not have a choice. As she spent her days shopping at the market for essentials and meals she tried to choose her next step. She could assume a new name and stay here close to her former master. Or she could now freely leave for a nearby village, even traveling to another kingdom.

For now, she realized she would have to stay here. She could try to find employment and raise money for her relocation. She advertised tutoring services in the market on the village board. She was quickly contacted by a local farmer. He had begun to earn a decent living and was transitioning to the much more lucrative position of merchant. This allowed his family to elevate their status and they were now able to afford a tutor for their children. They wouldn't be easily accepted into higher society unless their children were educated.

Lark moved out of the inn and into their large but humble stone house. They had a beautiful farm which grew vegetables and raised animals. It was their high quality honey and cheese that had allowed them to gain enough attention to become a legitimate business. They had made enough money to hire several staff, including Lark. She shared a small room with another employee, the cook. She was a surprisingly young woman who had grown up in a nearby village. She was tall and muscular with large hands and browned skin. Her hair was always covered with a loose scarf and folded behind her and she wore a tunic and trousers with a leather belt. Lark liked her immediately, and was drawn to her constant jokes and rough laugh.

She was happy as the weeks passed, teaching the daughters some of the skills she had learned in the castle. They quickly improved, especially their embroidery skills. She taught them how to stitch a simple bird, and they decorated squares of fabric with them to turn into a quilt. Lark earned a modest salary, stashing all of her earnings in a new trunk with her remaining gowns. She had already purchased a dress for work, something less conspicuous. Her employers liked her and the cook, Juna, often made her the chocolate cake she had always loved. It was peaceful and productive, but Lark could not seem to forget her time at the palace.

In her free time she liked to spend time with the farm animals. The cows especially had become very familiar with her. She hitched her skirt up and wandered in their pasture, patting each one gently on their forehead. One calf bumped her playfully, leaping into the air and tumbling over as his mother grazed nearby. Lark smiled but her thoughts were clouded. She could picture August's face in the window as she had seen it when she left. It haunted her as she laid back in the sun soaked grass and daydreamed.

Her memories had become blurred but his face was clear. He had released her so easily. But with so much regret. She felt a flicker of regret herself. His compassion had ignited curiosity within her. She had spent her life afraid of vampires. She had nearly been killed by one before seeking sanctuary in the castle. But August made it seem like they could be so human. She wanted to learn more.

She knew that she would be free if she returned. Her heart seemed to pull her towards the possibility. It was a much more exciting prospect. The thought of leaving this farm to find another humble life was pleasing. But she could not deny the magnetism of the harem. August had shown a particular interest in her. Her prospects were good as his pet. She sighed and the playful calf returned, plopping down beside her in the grass and resting his head on her legs. Lark rubbed his head absently, unable to focus. He grunted at her impatiently and she laughed, pushing him gently off her lap. She decided to write to the lord, and see if he would even reply. That was the only step she could take next. She gave the calf one last pet before heading back towards the main house. It was almost dinner time.