14. The Feeding Chamber

Speechless, Lark approached the door as Bernard opened it using a small golden key on a satin ribbon. He then placed the key in his breast pocket as Lark entered. She was stunned to find herself in a small antechamber with no windows. The room was very dark, lit only by a few small lamps. There was a depression carved into the stone floor filled with a luxurious nest of lush cushions and soft blankets. Around the perimeter hung a curtain of silk similar to one on Lark's bed. It was an opulent and romantic scene but had a strange threatening aura. Lark felt unsettled but couldn't explain why as she and Bernard crossed the room to a door on the other side. This one did not require a key and Bernard graciously held the door for her. As she entered she immediately recognized the room. It was August's bedchamber. She hid the flush in her face as Bernard withdrew back into the darkness and closed the door behind him with a brief goodbye. Lark was left alone in her master's room. August wasn't here, which surprised her. She had assumed he would still be asleep as the sun had just set but he was absent from his bed.

Her heart fluttered as she realized their rooms were separated by only a small dark room. Lark knew she should be worried or perhaps even scared to be so vulnerable. But she could not help feeling a sense of importance instead. This was a bold proclamation from the lord that she was to be protected. She didn't know how many enemies she might have made by leaving, but she was grateful for his security.

She walked slowly around the room, trying to memorize its every detail. She wondered if she would ever get another chance. On his writing desk in the corner a letter laid open. Her curiosity grew as she recognized August's handwriting. Approaching the desk and the short bookshelf beside it, Lark surreptitiously read a few lines while pretending to examine the many fascinating items on the shelves.

I give my consent for the Hygate assault. The humans must be liberated despite the risk. Send four dozen troops...

As she reached the third line the door opened behind her. Her stomach lurched but she remained calm and turned slowly to find August in the doorway. She dipped into a polite curtsy and casually stepped towards him, distancing herself from the letter. August bowed in return and his eyes were bright and filled with excitement. He was happy to see her.

"My Lord," Lark greeted him. She extended a hand which he rushed forward to take in his own.

"Lark. You have returned?"

She nodded demurely.

"Yes, my lord," she replied. "I have returned. I was brought here by Bernard. My new chambers are quite...close by."

August seemed embarrassed for a moment and cleared his throat but quickly recovered.

"It is where you will be safest. I will not disturb you," he explained. Lark smiled mischievously.

"I believe you. Though what of the conjoining room? What is its purpose?"

August seemed hesitant to reply but did so after a moment.

"It is my feeding room," he admitted. "I used it in the past but it has been empty for many years. You are the only living human to have seen it."

Lark pretended not to notice the depth of his words. She could sense that he may be referencing his former love. Ariane had warned her not to talk about Ora so she decided to change the subject quickly to avoid upsetting him. She took his other hand and his empty expression filled with a smile. He lifted his hand to his mouth and kissed it but he did not meet her eyes. Her heart leapt and his smile widened. She sighed. Human men could not hear her heart. She had forgotten his ears were so acute. She pulled gently away and his smirk softened.