22. Reunited

Lark woke before August when the sun was still overhead. He had never changed out of his day clothes and his own long hair was spread over the pillows. He looked endearingly vulnerable and so human Lark could barely stand to look at him. Whenever she did her heart ached. She felt as if she was under a spell. It pained her to leave him but she knew Sara must be worried.

She brushed his hair from his face gently and tried to clear her head. She was still bundled in blankets and wished desperately that the night had been longer. But all too soon she had to tear herself away. She untangled herself from the bedsheets and slipped silently through the feeding chamber. It was completely dark within but much to her surprise both doors were unlocked and she was able to hurry to the other side. As she burst through the door she surprised an unsuspecting Sara who was arranging the sitting room. Lark stifled a laugh as Sara gasped and nearly fell back with a stack of books in her arms. As Sara realized who had intruded she relaxed and smiled with relief. Placing the books on the table she rushed up to Lark and took her hands.

"Oh Lark, I was so worried. Bernard told me you were safe but wouldn't tell me any more." Her face brightened with an exciting revelation. "W-were you with the master?" she asked.

"I was," Lark admitted with a small smile. "And I was safe. I should have come back earlier but I fell asleep. I'm sorry for worrying you. I have so much to tell you."

"It is no trouble," Sara said, shaking her head. "But please tell me! I may die of boredom otherwise."

Lark rolled her eyes and laughed.

"Very well. I was called into a meeting with our Lord, his associate William, and Bernard. He asked me for my opinion in a matter of politics." She lowered her voice conspiratorially. "Hygate had stolen villagers from us but they have been recovered. However, their Lord Whitlock was a casualty of the rescue. They were deciding whether or not to claim the territory."

Sara bounced excitedly in her seat.

"How exciting! And what a relief they were rescued. Has a decision been made?"

Lark nodded.

"I dare not reveal too much but I believe this kingdom will soon expand. I'm still not sure why I was included."

"Did you join the Lord in his chamber afterwards? Didn't he tell you?"

"He said that I am one of the people. And that he likes me." Lark seemed to be glowing at the thought. Sara grinned.

"Perhaps soon you will be Favored."

Lark was surprised. It had never been her goal. But she had to admit that it seemed likely given all of the recent developments. Despite her happiness she could feel a stab of fear. Vayn was likely to retaliate. But Lark couldn't bring herself to vocalize it and pushed it aside. She had more important things to attend to. She had promised August that she would visit the people rescued from Hygate.

"Perhaps," she replied quietly. "Would you accompany me to town today? Our Lord has requested that I visit the villagers that they brought back."

"Of course!" Sara exclaimed. She missed the sunny streets just as Lark did even though she hadn't been far from them for long. The visit would undoubtedly be bittersweet. She missed the village but was plagued by her anguish over the loss of her parents. She was guaranteed to encounter painful memories surrounded by familiar farms and shops. But she felt empowered at Lark's side. She was beginning to lead a happy life thanks to her friendship.

She and Lark changed into comfortable gowns and strolled together down the castle corridors to Bernard's office. He was waiting for Lark to begin their daily lesson but she explained August's request and he led them to the stable instead. He would not send them without an escort and accepted the task himself. He prepared their three horses and the trio galloped towards the village as the sun reached its highest point. Though Sara was not an experienced rider she quickly flourished with Bernard's guidance and by the time they reached the square she was keeping up easily. Lark noticed Sara's growing fondness for her tutor but simply smiled to herself. It was a conversation for another time.