21. Embrace

August led her at a leisurely pace down the hallways of the castle. Lark was turning their meeting in her mind furiously. Her requested presence had been so unexpected and the thought of her opinions helping to shape the future of Ferin filled her with nervous excitement. It seemed so out of her depth that she was still trying to process what had happened. August could sense her confusion and comforted her as they reached his wing.

"I appreciate your assistance," he said softly. "You did well and I trust your judgment."

She shook her head in disbelief.

"But why, my Lord?"

"Because you are one of the people," he replied. "And because you returned when given your freedom. I have been fascinated by you since your arrival. You have a magnetic quality. I can see that you are strong in your convictions and quite clever. I find you an excellent conversational companion. And..." He paused and they stopped in the hall where he met her eyes for a moment. They were black and intense but warm. Lark could identify some uncertainty as well.

"...you are beautiful," he said at last, quickly turning back to their path and leading her along. Lark blushed deeply but her mind still swirled with questions.

"I am flattered, my Lord," she whispered. Her heart was racing and she was sure he could hear it. "I never thought of myself as any different from the other harem women. Or those in town." August smiled.

"And yet here you are," he replied. They came to stop at the door of his chambers and entered together. He led her to the couch and sat beside her.

"You do not have to be different to be of interest to me," he mused. "My interest in you comes from the quiet uniqueness of your character." Lark bowed her head in understanding.

"What happened to Lord Whitlock?" she asked.

August sighed.

"We liberated twenty humans from Ferin that were being held captive in Hygate. Whitlock interfered and was felled by my hand. Thus his land is mine. It will not be easy to tear down the walls between the two kingdoms. We have no idea what propaganda or rumors will be spread about Whitlock's death. I can only hope they will not be too insidious."

"You have William to assist you," Lark soothed him. "And Bernard and myself. It may be a struggle to unite us all but you are the Lord to do it."

August smiled softly. His face was slowly relaxing but Lark could see the conflict hidden behind his mild expression.

"I am confident in our decision. We will adapt like we always have. Perhaps expanding the kingdom will allow for trade opportunities. Hygate may still prove to be an asset." Lark nodded but she could feel herself growing drowsy.

"I wonder if you would be willing to visit the rescued humans in the hospital," August continued. "I would like for a representative I can trust to update me on their progress. I am certain they will need assistance to start rebuilding their lives."

Lark nodded sleepily. "It would be an honor, my Lord," she replied. She was eager to visit the village. Since her voluntary return to the castle she had begun to feel trapped again. It would be rejuvenating to wander free in the sunshine on familiar streets. She was daydreaming when she felt a soft touch on her cheek. August held her face gently in his hand and his eyes were intently fixed on her. She flushed slightly but a smile curled the corners of her mouth. He studied her closely as if searching for something as Lark rested her own hand on his. She tilted her head questioningly but as she opened her mouth to ask him what was wrong he pulled her gently towards him and covered her mouth with his.

Their previous kiss had not been like this one. It had been hesitant and gentle. This kiss held more passion. He was careful not to crush her against him but held her with a subtle firmness that made her feel confident and secure. She leaned against him, resting her hands dreamily on his shoulders. He wrapped his arms around her waist and supported her as they feverishly embraced. He left a trail of kisses down her neck and a nip to her collarbone made her gasp. She reached out for more but he set clear boundaries with quiet objections. He lifted her into his lap and she could feel his arousal beneath her. But as her hands wandered over him he grabbed her wrists and held them to his chest.

"Not tonight," he whispered breathlessly. Lark could not speak and only nodded. She was filled with a desire she could barely recognize. She hadn't realized the depth of her own yearning and now that it was being satisfied she felt as if she were starving. She tried to ignore her greed but found herself frustrated in his arms. She had never dreamed of desiring him but now she felt overcome by her own desperation. She tried to remain calm but the smile on his face was nearly irresistible. His lips found hers again and they spent the rest of the night tangled together on the couch. They barely spoke, laying together languidly with a closeness neither had experienced in recent memory. Both seemed intoxicated by their feelings, wrapped in a cloak of gentle companionship.

Lark fell fast asleep leaning heavily against him. He held her closely, kissing her head when she would stir and covering her with his coat. As morning neared he lifted her easily into his arms and laid her on the bed. He lay beside her with some space between them and attempted to read. But his eyes were drawn back to her. Her deep breathing was steady and soothing and he wondered what she was dreaming about. Lark grumbled in her sleep and reached out a searching hand over the blankets. August held it gently and she sighed contentedly before closing the gap between them.

As Lark had been overwhelmed by her emotions before drifting off to sleep, August was also conflicted. He had not felt a chemistry like this since Ora. He had truly believed he would never have the opportunity to feel so strongly again. Her lips seemed to melt against his as they became one being. He could not imagine this intensity of progressing with her physically. His body had already become so frustrated that he could hardly think. He could see nothing past her sleeping figure. He was captivated by her long lashes curled against her cheeks and her pale face framed with a halo of dark hair. She seemed to smile in her sleep. He watched her until he couldn't keep his eyes open. The last thing August remembered before drifting off to sleep was her head nestled into his shoulder and scent of her perfume.